The wait is over: Suunto Eon Steel is here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

does he knows that every unit dive to 100 meter before shipping ?? is 100 considered as rec ?? can do with air only and no deco ??

As for the lock-out: Yes it is correct that it will lock out when you break the ceiling for 3min straight, means that multiple minor violations won't affect. Doing so is not advisable for obvious reasons and the 48h lock is generally reasonable. Nevertheless we are considering a reset function as there are situation that require a reset.
The obvious possibility for me would seem to be omitted decompression after "something very bad" happens to your buddy and you decide that getting him to someone on the boat vs watching him drown below the ceiling is the better plan. Having the computer give you nothing at that point would seem to be "unhelpful".

To steal an image from another recent product announced, It is probably best if it doesn't do something like this:

tech13.jpg

Attachments

• tech13.jpg
    tech13.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 669
Now that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, my Eon Steel was delivered today! I'll be test-driving it in the dive shop pool this weekend, then in Maui in March. More to come.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2015 at 02:27 PM ----------

Hello.
Doing so is not advisable for obvious reasons and the 48h lock is generally reasonable. Nevertheless we are considering a reset function as there are situation that require a reset.

Yes, please. I don't want to live in fear that my computer will lock me out for 2+ days of diving while at some remote destination.

My first diving computer was a Uwatec Aladin PRO, then I got a Delta P VR3 and now I am really interested in this Suunto EON Steel. Especially when my Uwatec digital manometer broke down I was sad that I didn't have a digital gauge anymore and didn't have the low BAR alarm option. But when I saw the Suunto with all of his options and the tank pod, I was very intrigued + all of the other options I saw on the Suunto, the compass option is a nice plus also. So I was thinking about buying it in a month or so. Read a lot of reviews and so far I didn't see any deal breakers on this one. The 48h lock is stupid, since other computers like the VR3 tell you how you missed a crucial step and should rely on the diving tables but he doesn't lock you up, at least he still shows you the info...

Anything other negative about this one? You guys who tried it out now, what do you say? Yay or nay?

it's heavy, strap SUCKS ! , no dive plan mode, no easy way to mark compass, will lock you out, I have not found a way to turn off deep stop.... but hey the lights are pretty !

Hi,
there are definitively many features we still need to add and we will definitively do so. First update will come next month incl. compass locking, air time and ccr mode (fixed point). Personally I don't think that 350g is heavy for its size but that's surely a matter of taste. What do you dislike about the strap? Have you tried the bungee kit instead?

br Hendrik

Hendrik,

I'm not the first to say it but if there is a running list of things that people want in the Eon, side-mount specific functions please. Reminder to swap tanks and functions to track multiple tanks of primary gas for SAC and OOA.

Thanks

Hi,
there are definitively many features we still need to add and we will definitively do so. First update will come next month incl. compass locking, air time and ccr mode (fixed point). Personally I don't think that 350g is heavy for its size but that's surely a matter of taste. What do you dislike about the strap? Have you tried the bungee kit instead?

br Hendrik

Shouldn't compass lock be a default option in the base of the suunto software? And not a so called add on or "update"? What's the point of a compass if you can't set your home on the suunto compass aka lock it? And what about the 48h lock if you don't follow some deco. info? Will it still show of some deco. info or will it do a total lock and go useless on us for 48h? I send the mail for this question directly to suunto and I got a lame automatic answer that tells me check the manual of the suunto eon steel. Well I still don't think the full lock and go useless option is good, even if it's a safety reason for someone not to sue you for a mistake they done but still. Why not make it as almost all of the professional diving computers? Tell the user how he didn't follow the info of the deco, how a mistake was done, use tables etc but still show some useful info and not to go on a full lock for deco. Basically that gives you a message if you do something that the computer didn't say you are sh*t out of luck on 90m? For me that's a big mistake...

The unit is not that heavy if it were at the end of a hose, but to strap it to your wrist how tight must it be before the unit will not slip and move about on your wrist, this makes it very hard to see. I just got back from Cozumel leading a group of divers from our shop and I used the Eon Steel on every dive and I can honestly say I like it less now than I did before. I brought other computers with me on every dive to compare it to. The display is hard to see in very clear bright water, I am sure it is good in a cave or limited visibility , I was able to see it well on a night dive, but in bright conditions with it turning about on your wrist, it was very poor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom