The Ultimate Mask - Beuchat Maxlux S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check the mask and see whether it has a pin on the strap keeper that is metal or plastic. If it's metal (stainless steel) it should be good to go. If it's plastic, it could break at an unexpected time.

Not really. It depends on the material surrounding the pin as well as the design.

For reference I use the Beuchat Maxlux S, here in the Middle East, where daily temperatures easily reach 120F in the summer, and the high UV deteriorates some plastics very quickly.

My teaching mask, spend a lot of time in direct sunlight in or by the pool. After 4 years of fairly high use the only deterioration is the the discolouration of the white skirt caused by copious amounts of sunscreen

The mask strap and retaining latches show no sign of deterioration, my second mask, newer but more dives on it, is also as good as the day it was purchased (no discolouration since its not exposed to as much sunscreen)

Modern thermoplastics are incredibly resilient and shouldn't be quickly dismissed

I picked up a Beuchat Maxlux S as a backup mask because it folded thin in my dive shorts pocket and because it was reasonable.

Turns out it really is a good mask.

I primarily use a Scuba Pro Crystal Vu because I like the extra field of view and the light it lets in.

I primarily use a Scuba Pro Crystal Vu

Do you find the Crystal Vu lets in too much light , I found it a Distraction with clear masks?

No I actually like the extra brightness.
I'm not claustrophobic. I like open-plans. Flooded light-lit rooms (natural), ceiling to floor windows.

But I found that there is much less (if none) vsual distortion with smaller chamber masks.

Things appear (more) larger with larger-volume masks ( I realize objects appear magnified underwater) but less so with a smaller compartment mask.

Not really. It depends on the material surrounding the pin as well as the design.

For reference I use the Beuchat Maxlux S, here in the Middle East, where daily temperatures easily reach 120F in the summer, and the high UV deteriorates some plastics very quickly.

My teaching mask, spend a lot of time in direct sunlight in or by the pool. After 4 years of fairly high use the only deterioration is the the discolouration of the white skirt caused by copious amounts of sunscreen

The mask strap and retaining latches show no sign of deterioration, my second mask, newer but more dives on it, is also as good as the day it was purchased (no discolouration since its not exposed to as much sunscreen)

Modern thermoplastics are incredibly resilient and shouldn't be quickly dismissed
Diving Dubai,

That’s probably true of some kinds of thermoplastics, but the cheaper masks do have problems.

42398422181_ff9e978b38_k.jpg
IMG_2456 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

42398422831_40610f038b_k.jpg
IMG_2455 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

SeaRat

After seeing the op title, I looked into this, I have a narrow face, so ordered up the maxlux s from Amazon.

It was $60, had it in 2 days. Half the price of my atomic frameless small.

Fits great.

Worked with it a bit, but now is fog free.

100 min dive yest, never touched it once. That's a first in 28 years of diving.

It may not be the best ever for everyone, but it's my go to now, I'm going to order another one.

Do you find the Crystal Vu lets in too much light , I found it a Distraction with clear masks?
Yes the translucent side glass results in unwanted light hitting the sides of the eyes and it’s a real pain ! I purchased clear transparent loctite waterproof glue and now plan to stick a tiny strip of 3M windshield 50% Sunfilm on the in-sides.

I was looking for a backup mask to store in a thigh pocket and chanced upon this thread. So I just ordered a Maxlux S white ( to match my fins) from a local dealer. Will find out in my upcoming November diving trip if this is compellingly good enough to replace my Scubapro CrystalVu as the main mask. If not then the frameless low volume design should still make a good fit into a side pocket.

Attachments

• C557D4FD-1E56-4875-ABEA-77D12350BD16.jpeg
    C557D4FD-1E56-4875-ABEA-77D12350BD16.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 47
Revived this topic:
I now use this mask as my primary and back up .
I love this mask.
Just hate the fact I have a "shed load" of masks twice the price that do the job, but not as well
Check the mask and see whether it has a pin on the strap keeper that is metal or plastic. If it's metal (stainless steel) it should be good to go. If it's plastic, it could break at an unexpected time.

SeaRat
Revived again.
You are right John, I now don't trust them, gave them to the wifes grandkids.
My now go to masks are the Hollis M1 and Hollis M4 as my back up, the Scubapro Synergy has a 'dorkle' on it for free diving.

Revived again.
You are right John, I now don't trust them, gave them to the wifes grandkids.
My now go to masks are the Hollis M1 and Hollis M4 as my back up, the Scubapro Synergy has a 'dorkle' on it for free diving.
All I'll say is that I used them in the Middle East, so they were subjected to v high heat (+45C 120F in the Summer) and high UV. They would be outside All weekend every weekend for diving, and no treated gently. None of my 4 Beuchat masks have had an issue and they've been lent to students who aren't the most careful. I used to be an aerospace materials engineer so have a bit of knowledge of plastics and am sure that John is over hyping a problem which doesn't exist on the Beuchat Mask

aerospace materials engineer so have a bit of knowledge of plastics and am sure that John is over hyping a problem which doesn't exist on the Beuchat Mask
Ok, I did find another Beuchat mask in a box yesterday , lime green, lighter shade than this one.
I will give it another go free diving with a 'dorkle' on it.
maxlux-s.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom