The Truth about Dive Paradise and the ScubaBoard Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First day of fall and a huge satellite is going to fall today, they know not where. I'll come out of my basement tomorrow. :shakehead:
I'm Californian. We don't have basements. Is hiding under my bed sufficient, oh disaster-prepared one?

I'm Californian. We don't have basements. Is hiding under my bed sufficient, oh disaster-prepared one?
Got any caves? Last update said it was falling slower and may not splat until after midnight. I wish I had a nice basement, with better reception.

Got any caves? Last update said it was falling slower and may not splat until after midnight. I wish I had a nice basement, with better reception.
I had better start digging then.

Cali? Crawl under your Prius? Don't forget to take your Caramel Macchiato, :coffee:, a jug of herb tea and some of that Wheatgrass.... :chuckle:

Cali? Crawl under your Prius? Don't forget to take your Caramel Macchiato, :coffee:, a jug of herb tea and some of that Wheatgrass.... :chuckle:
Not sure if they do in other states, but growing up in L.A. we always had earthquake drills in school, where we'd crawl under the desk as best we could, as if that would protect us if a three-story building collapsed. But this Chicken Little sky-is-falling stuff is way new to me. Figured Dandy D would at least have experience with some of that grapefruit-sized hail I've heard about affecting some places.

What really worried me is the warning from the NASA site: "If you find something you think may be a piece of UARS, do not touch it. Contact a local law enforcement official for assistance." Does that mean that the satellite pieces might contain some sort of space virus that will turn my eyes black like in the X Files? Would I be able to dive with black eyes? So I'm digging, fast.

One question: Do any of the organizers or Scubaboard staff receive any sort of perks from DP or the hotel or other providers beyond what the regular Invasion attendees receive, such as free or extra-discounted room/board or free dives?

EDIT: OK - so I see that my sentiments are shared by many (obviously) - I posted this before I read the whole thread, but I still want Dennis, Pete, Roxanne, etc. to know I think they did a great job and I support their event!

If they don't, they certainly deserve to! Organizing an event of this size and coordinating diving/activities, etc. not to mention fielding the hundreds of e-mails, PM's etc. is A LOT of work - so I certainly hope that people realize and appreciate all of the work that Dennis and Roxanne et. al. put into this From my understanding, Dennis and Roxanne volunteer their time to make this happen - call it a labor of love.

Dennis - while I think it is nice of you to explain to people why the rules are what they are - you certainly have no obligation to. People know the rules up front - they either like them or they don't. If they don't, they don't have to sign-up!

Keep up the great work - I understand your frustration! Looking forward to seeing you again next year!

Last edited:
I think they want to avoid people keeping souvenir pieces of the space junk, as well as blaming NASA if they get burned or cut by a piece. The Feds got really mad at some who tried to keep pieces of the shuttle crash. The satellite was expected to crash or splash in the last hour somewhere between Canada, Africa, and Australia. Heard any news? :confused:

Edit: It's going for one more orbit! Crash or splash delayed. :(

Last edited:
I think they want to avoid people keeping souvenir pieces of the space junk, as well as blaming NASA if they get burned or cut by a piece. The Feds got really mad at some who tried to keep pieces of the shuttle crash. The satellite was expected to crash or splash in the last hour somewhere between Canada, Africa, and Australia. Heard any news? :confused:

Edit: It's going for one more orbit! Crash or splash delayed. :(
"NASA’s decommissioned Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite fell back to Earth
between 11:23 p.m. EDT Friday, Sept. 23 and 1:09 a.m. EDT Sept. 24. The Joint
Space Operations Center at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California said the
satellite entered the atmosphere over the North Pacific Ocean, off the west
coast of the United States. The precise re-entry time and location of any debris
impacts are still being determined. NASA is not aware of any reports of injury
or property damage."

So unless any divers or boats were hit, I guess it's a non-event. Back to our regular programming: Mossman bashing.

"NASA’s decommissioned Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite fell back to Earth
between 11:23 p.m. EDT Friday, Sept. 23 and 1:09 a.m. EDT Sept. 24. The Joint
Space Operations Center at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California said the
satellite entered the atmosphere over the North Pacific Ocean, off the west
coast of the United States. The precise re-entry time and location of any debris
impacts are still being determined. NASA is not aware of any reports of injury
or property damage."

So unless any divers or boats were hit, I guess it's a non-event. Back to our regular programming: Mossman bashing.

True that. How about a wreck dive? I got a place to display some satellite.

There is another due to crash or splash in a month. I'm fixing up my basement a bit. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom