The "Thanks" button is gone.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad....they have to be white.

It would be better to just put some constraints on the brats ... don't you think?
Bob, there are threads, mostly started by those "brats" (as you call them), castigating me for doing just that. In fact, I think you were supportive of one such user in one such thread. There was a judicious use of the Thanks button in that thread in order to manipulate/polarize the discussion. Go figure.

No matter what I do, I will be faulted. As seen earlier, I clearly made a tongue in cheek posting only to be rebuked for it a post or two later. It doesn't matter what I do: I have a target on my back and everyone thinks I am out to spoil their fun. As I have confided with you in the past, no matter how hard I try, I get slammed. I feel like an American in France: condemned for trying to help others. I can't win. Not sure why I try.

This is my last post here until after ITK. You guys can harsh my mellow after that.

... so did you consider simply disabling the Thanks feature in those forums where contentious threads are allowed ... and leaving it alone in the forums where they're not.

I'm generally more in favor of responding to people as individuals rather than making policies that put limitations on everyone because of the bad behavior of a few.

In effect, you are allowing the most disruptive members of our community to dictate how the board is run ... that's rather like taking a bratty kid to a public restaurant and making everyone suffer because of the kid's bratty behavior.

It would be better to just put some constraints on the brats ... don't you think?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Normally there would have been a little section below your post showing irishsquid gave thanks for this post because; I agreed with it and thought it relevant and to the point. Instead I have to write this which may not be as direct and extends the thread. Heck, maybe I should just type THANK YOU!

Bob, there are threads, mostly started by those "brats" (as you call them), castigating me for doing just that. In fact, I think you were supportive of one such user in one such thread. There was a judicious use of the Thanks button in that thread in order to manipulate/polarize the discussion. Go figure.

No matter what I do, I will be faulted. As seen earlier, I clearly made a tongue in cheek posting only to be rebuked for it a post or two later. It doesn't matter what I do: I have a target on my back and everyone thinks I am out to spoil their fun. As I have confided with you in the past, no matter how hard I try, I get slammed. I feel like an American in France: condemned for trying to help others. I can't win. Not sure why I try.

This is my last post here until after ITK. You guys can harsh my mellow after that.

In all seriousness, I liked the "thank you" button, but I can live without it. Pete provides us with a great place to hang, exchange ideas, and meet friends (while also exposing himself to being sued.) I would love to see it back, but if the powers that be have decided that the place is better without it, than we all have to live with it and move on. Nothing to see here, move along.

Now I dare you all to thank me for this post.

I just want to go on record here as being the very first person to use the THANKS button on the lost camera thread, when it was still an option. Maybe we should have been tracking Thanks given instead of Thanks received.
Wow, my count for giving thanks must be around 100K, while my thanked count was only about 6,500 before it disappeared...'tis better to give than to receive. :wink:

The staff has reviewed the
post_thanks1.gif
feature and has decided to remove it. We felt that it has contributed to an unhealthy polarization of the community and was susceptible to abuse by a few.

As always, your input and comments were invaluable in reaching this decision. Now it's back to your regularly scheduled thankless program!

This is the main reason you stated for removing the button. I asked what this meant. This was your response.

It appears that I am incompetent to answer your question. I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it. I have seen it a lot recently. I hope this helps.

So what you're saying is you can't explain why you removed the button but you know it when you see it and you have seen a lot of it. You can't give a concrete answer as to how the thanks button contributed to an unhealthy polarization of the community., so you just decided to remove it from certain forums. OK, got it. Thanks for the clarification Pete. :idk:

Edit: It appears that Pete answered this and is done. So am I.

Pete, all this over the "THANK YOU" button? Srsly?

+100000

I hope I didn't abuse the "0" button:confused:

That thin skinned? Stay off the computer.

Yep exactly. Scubaboard is child's play too, compared to many other places on the internet.

I have seen many people ask how "it has contributed to an unhealthy polarization of the community"? Yet no response from NetDoc has been forthcoming. What I have seen is that there are certain people who dislike members of a thread so they complain and whine about that thread. We all know that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". I hardly see how a group of about 8-10 people, who thank each other in one specific thread leads to "an unhealthy polarization of the community".

And members of that thread whine and complain about others. If I had a dollar for every complaint in the Lionfish thread I'd be very very rich. You guys need thicker skins.

That is why some many of the so called abusers chose to not participate in this thread until Jenny decided to sling mud.

Oh please, she wasn't slinging mud, you guys are just oversensitive. You can dish it out but you can't take it Steve.

As usual Pete, you are not worth a response. I will leave your communistic control over the board in your less than capable hands.

If he had communistic control over the board you would have been long gone. They don't tend to take well to people who complain about the regime under communism.

I have disagreed with Pete from time to time but he has amazing patience to put up with some of the crap he gets from others here.

I only have one comment about this...and that is that the polarization of factions of the community existed before some of us started having fun with the thanks button, and that the people who so mightily detest our group of people having silly thanks fun would detest us with, or without, the thanks button's existence. IJS!

Yea, and there will always be polarisation in online communities *shrug* I don't really see the problem other than the fact some people have thin skins (both sides) and find it upsetting. But as Jim said people who interact on the internet need to develop thick skins.

No, Pete. You're post above doesn't help. Instead of explaining to me why you and your staff have removed the THANK YOU button, you have slandered the Lionfish thread.

Slandered the Lionfish thread? :rofl3: So you are quite happy for the Lionfish thread to be used to bag out other members but if anyone points that out you get huffy??

Also whilst we are complaining about things done by mods, can Wormil be unbanned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom