The Ten Commandments Of Dog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Euthanizing pets is one of the most difficult parts of my job. But I have seen many times first hand how much more difficult it is for the families, and I don't blame people if they cannot handle being present. Regardless, I personally make it a point to do it with caring and sensitivity, and I usually cry myself.

OK, everybody go hug their furred/feathered/scaled family members right now!

Euthanizing pets is one of the most difficult parts of my job. But I have seen many times first hand how much more difficult it is for the families, and I don't blame people if they cannot handle being present. Regardless, I personally make it a point to do it with caring and sensitivity, and I usually cry myself.

OK, everybody go hug their furred/feathered/scaled family members right now!

Without placing judgement on those who can't/won't be present with their pets at the end, I believe it be the last/greatest responsibility of a pet owner to a loyal companion.

Last year, we lost three cats, two of whom had been part of our family for sixteen years and had to be put down due to illness. As sad and hard as that was, it was easier and less troubling than coming home and finding that your pet had died alone, as was the case with two other cats. I've also had to euthanize a lab that had been with me for seventeen years, in fact, she graduated college with me! Believe me Cudachaser, I understand.

Animal medical technology can do amazing things these days,and it is tempting to keep to try an keep our pets around forever. However, it is better to enjoy the time we have with them, and then let them tell us when it is time to let go.

Now, I've got to go find three cats and two dogs to hug!:D

I agree with all of the above.

I stayed with one cat when he was euthanized and it was very difficult for me. I still have the image of him in my mind with his eyes open and his tongue hanging out. When it was time for my other cat, my husband took her because I just couldn't stand to be there even though she was my cat from before we had even met. I felt badly but I had a 2 month old infant at the time so I used him as the excuse. I mean, someone had to stay home with him.

I don't know what I'll do with my other cats. It's going to be a tough decision. My dogs have had other owners when it was their time. My dad got our dog when my parents divorced (my mom and I couldn't take dogs where we were moving to) and my other dog, same thing when I sold my house. I couldn't bring her to where I am now so the people who bought my house adopted my dog. Pretty cool huh?

Everything I learned from my dog

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

When it’s in your best interest, always practice obedience.

Let others know when they’ve invaded your territory.

Take naps and stretch before rising.

Run, romp and play daily.

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.

Be loyal.

Never pretend you’re something you’re not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.

When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

No matter how often you’re scolded, don’t buy into the guilt thing and pout…run right back and make friends.

Bond with your pack.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

If you stare at someone long enough, eventually you’ll get what you want.

Don’t go out without I.D.

Be direct with people; let them know exactly how you feel by pissing on their shoes.

Be aware of when to hold your tongue, and when to use it.

Leave room in your schedule for a good nap.

Always give people a friendly greeting – a cold nose in the crotch in the crotch is effective.

When you do something, always take responsibility (as soon as you’re dragged out from under the bed.)

If it’s not wet and sloppy, it’s not a real kiss.

1. My life is likely to last ten to fifteen years.
Any separation from you will painful for me.
Well what my 16 yo dog should say in such dictum
:D

Mania

i loved the dog ones

the cat ones are just enemy propaganda (ok, let the human have his keyboard back, boys)

My first dog since Katie is named Oso. My wife has a cat that likes to persecute me, I have a little cat that stays outside and murders anything less than twice her size, and my son's dog is Oso's sister. Not that you could tell it from looking at them side by side, though. Oso is BIG, black, and lazy, while Nadia is much smaller, colored like a Dalmatian, and hyper. They are a comical pair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom