The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you are aware it was directed at DandyDon in regard your comment on key West. Which I stand by as you have no first hand experience in that area, so why do feel the need to give advice?

As you are aware it was directed at DandyDon in regard your comment on key West. Which I stand by as you have no first hand experience in that area, so why do feel the need to give advice?

I can see your point on Don.
I've been diving the keys since I got my original open water in 1987 at Pennecamp Reef Key largo. Does that count? :)

I'm due to fly to CZM on Saturday. I'm keeping an eye on things, but I haven't stopped my preparations. Have Taniflu, will travel.
Duh! :silly: It just occurred to me: I had been upset to learn that the NY kids had seemingly caught their infections in Cancun, but - they could have well caught them from someone on the plane back, which would fit better with the 1-4 incubation period and them all getting ill at almost the same time. So my thots that it had a stronghold in the Yucatan were erroneous; we don't know how far it's spread since for sure, but it was not necessarily there then.
Oh, OK. I was not bashing Key West. Been there a few times, snorkeled there the first two visits before I got into scuba. It has many endearing aspects in spite of it image as a party mecca. It's just not known for being a superior dive location nor as compared to many other Florida Keys and Ft. Lauderdale.

You seem intent on being upset so I don't suppose my explaining my reasons for not taking scuba gear there even when I was diving 30 minutes away will make any difference to you, but the explanation is offered. Have a good evening.

Back to the subject at hand: If one were to want to change travel plans from Cozumel to someplace else, I wonder where? Who knows where this thing is going to get active? I suppose The Keys may have better medical care in case of a problem? Not an easy decision for those traveling this month I don't guess.

Gordy hope you have a great trip and enjoy the place without pod people. :eyebrow:

(Disclaimer: Yes I have been on cruise boats before. Never so bored. Windjammer was kinda fun until I got into scuba, while on a WJ boat - but my next WJ cruise was my last, and now it's gone.)

While my intention is not to downplay the severity of this flu or the need to be cautious, I do want to make some points/observations and clarify a few things based on what I know.

Believe me, I am a germ-a-phobe after my father's MRSA last year (which BTW was NOT contracted by a hospital visit - it was a random case and we still don't know where it came from to this day) so I don't take this lightly, I am just a little frustrated and disgusted by the mass hysteria and generalizations the media is creating once again - as well as the basics of any virus/illness that peo0ple seem to forget when the media does this hysteria building.

If anyone has facts or evidence to the contrary or that clarifies any of my points, please speak up - this is just a mix of facts as I know them as of this morning as well as my personal opinion and should not be construed as medical advice as I am not a Dr. and don't play one on TV

1. WHO has already acknowledged that containment is virtually impossible at this point - so canceling travel plans to unaffected areas (ie: Cozumel - no reported cases) is not really a logical or practical solution. The point being that you are no more at risk by traveling to CZM than you are being in the US or Canada. While the theory is that the kids in NYC had been in Cancun for Spring Break - there are still as of today no confirmed or documented cases in Cancun or in the entire state of Q. Roo for that matter. Yes, it's highly likely that someone in the group to Cancun was exposed there and then passed it on, we don't know if they were exposed by someone locally in Cancun or someone on the plane, etc. We'll probably never know. Precautions are being taken and medical personal are ready should the need arise.
2. Those cases that have resulted in death in MEXICO CITY (over 1600 miles away from CZM) - were in fact cases where the patients sought treatment once their symptoms were in the advanced stages - ie: they did not seek early or adequate medical treatment - probably because it was SO new.
3. Not traveling to Cozumel because there is an outbreak in central Mexico (over 1600 miles away and on the mainland) to me is no different than not traveling to California because there are documented cases in Texas and New York. Even if there were confirmed cases in Cancun - again - that's no different than saying you're nt going to a neighboring town because there are sick people there. There is less travel between Mexico city and Cozumel than Mexico City and the US - so those cities with flights arriving from Mexico City are just as much at risk as anywhere else with flights arriving from MC.
4. As ALWAYS, take reasonable sanitary and health precautions as your mom taught you growing up - keep your hands washed, avoid contact with people that are sick, if you experience any symptoms, seek medical care immediately
5. I still feel safer in Cozumel than being out and about in Houston or any other place in the US - despite drug cartel wars on the borders or swine flu in Northern/Central Mexico.
6. This is a new strain of the flu - that's been established. But before we go crazy thinking it's a deadly killer, don't forget that people die from the flu as we already know it everyday.

It is my opinion (educated or not) that this will all be under control in a fairly short term and we'll all be going about our daily business as normal.

Flame away :)

I am not saying anyones opinion is wrong we all have our own. Just that you have first hand experience to back it up. Spring break was partly blown out in the keys and we are talking about peoples income.

Well unfortunately all the operators in Canada have succumed to the mass hysteria; all trips to Mexico are cancelled until June apparently. This is fantastic, I'm supposed to be getting married in Coz in a week with 55 guests...

Christi, that's a good post.

Well unfortunately all the operators in Canada have succumed to the mass hysteria; all trips to Mexico are cancelled until June apparently. This is fantastic, I'm supposed to be getting married in Coz in a week with 55 guests...
Well that sucks. Hope you can re-plan someplace nice. Which airline are you using? From Air Canada...
Updated travel advisory for flights to/from Mexico

MONTRÉAL, April 28, 2009 -- As a result of an outbreak of influenza in parts of Mexico, Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations are providing the following information for customers with plans to travel to/from Mexico:

Based on travel demand, Air Canada currently plans to maintain flights to Mexico City. Air Canada customers with reservations for travel to/from Mexico City up to May 6th, 2009, may rebook or cancel their travel arrangements without penalty, through Air Canada Reservations at 1-888-247-2262; TTY hearing impaired: 1-800-361-8071, or through their travel agent.

Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations will suspend all operations to Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta until June 1, 2009.

Air Canada Vacations customers booked for travel to Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta with Air Canada Vacations between April 28 and June 1, 2009, inclusive, can rebook their holiday with no change fees.

Travel can be to any destination or resort offered by Air Canada Vacations. Customers are responsible for any price differential resulting from the selection of a higher-priced alternative.

Air Canada Vacations Customers may rebook their travel by contacting Customer Care at 1 800 296-3408 or through their travel agent. Travel must be completed by October 31, 2009. Further information is available on the Air Canada Vacations website aircanadavacations.com.

Air Canada customers with reservations for flights only to/from Cancun between April 28 and June 1, 2009, inclusive, may rebook or cancel their travel arrangements without penalty through Air Canada Reservations at 1-888-247-2262; TTY hearing impaired: 1-800-361-8071, or through their travel agent.

Flights will continue to operate as scheduled until May 4 to bring home all passengers presently in Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta.

Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations continue to monitor the situation closely and will provide further travel updates as developments occur.

For further information on influenza, customers are encouraged to consult the Public Health Agency of Canada website at: Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) | Agence de la sante publique du Canada (ASPC).

Well that sucks. Hope you can re-plan someplace nice. Which airline are you using?

Five different US airlines still offer cheap flights Toronto to Cancun, May6-11, for $301-314 taxes included - same price I'd pay. Get your money back, rebook, charter a Cancun bus. Good luck girl...!

From Air Canada...
Updated travel advisory for flights to/from Mexico

MONTRŽÉAL, April 28, 2009 -- As a result of an outbreak of influenza in parts of Mexico, Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations are providing the following information for customers with plans to travel to/from Mexico:

Based on travel demand, Air Canada currently plans to maintain flights to Mexico City. Air Canada customers with reservations for travel to/from Mexico City up to May 6th, 2009, may rebook or cancel their travel arrangements without penalty, through Air Canada Reservations at 1-888-247-2262; TTY hearing impaired: 1-800-361-8071, or through their travel agent.

Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations will suspend all operations to Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta until June 1, 2009.

Air Canada Vacations customers booked for travel to Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta with Air Canada Vacations between April 28 and June 1, 2009, inclusive, can rebook their holiday with no change fees.

Travel can be to any destination or resort offered by Air Canada Vacations. Customers are responsible for any price differential resulting from the selection of a higher-priced alternative.

Air Canada Vacations Customers may rebook their travel by contacting Customer Care at 1 800 296-3408 or through their travel agent. Travel must be completed by October 31, 2009. Further information is available on the Air Canada Vacations website aircanadavacations.com.

Air Canada customers with reservations for flights only to/from Cancun between April 28 and June 1, 2009, inclusive, may rebook or cancel their travel arrangements without penalty through Air Canada Reservations at 1-888-247-2262; TTY hearing impaired: 1-800-361-8071, or through their travel agent.

Flights will continue to operate as scheduled until May 4 to bring home all passengers presently in Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta.

Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations continue to monitor the situation closely and will provide further travel updates as developments occur.

For further information on influenza, customers are encouraged to consult the Public Health Agency of Canada website at: Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) | Agence de la sante publique du Canada (ASPC).

Last edited:
"Based on travel demand, Air Canada currently plans to maintain flights to Mexico City. Air Canada customers with reservations for travel to/from Mexico City up to May 6th, 2009, may rebook or cancel their travel arrangements without penalty, through Air Canada Reservations at 1-888-247-2262; TTY hearing impaired: 1-800-361-8071, or through their travel agent.

Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations will suspend all operations to Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta until June 1, 2009."

What's the logic behind this?? AC will continue flights to and from Mexico City yet suspends travel to Cancun, Coz and PV? There are no known cases at this time in any of these places yet Mexico City is riddled... :confused:

I'm still hoping to leave on Saturday. (flying Continental)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom