The supposed lack of shore dives in Sarasota/Seista Key?!? Is it possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33ps1x

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Is it true that Sarasota has no shore dives and the only thing to do is dive for sharks teeth in Venice?

I find it hard to believe that there is nothing interesting to see along the shoreline in Sarasota without taking a charter boat but two dive shops in the area insist that this is in fact the case and that divers require the services of a $65.00 US charter boat to see anything in the area.

One actually mentioned after some serious prodding that there were a couple of shore dives but that they were for locals and experts and not suitable for out of towner divers like myself and my only option was to do a charter which is a shame since I just won't dive at all then and the local shops will miss out on at least getting $36 a day worth of tank rentals for a week. Sad really.

I was hoping that there is a good dive or two on Seista Key in specific. My plan was to rent a couple of tanks a day for 3 people and enjoy the fish, etc, that we don't have here in the great lakes.

I guess sun tanning is the only option left to me.

You could drive over to the east coast where you have plenty of options. Bring a six pack of Upper Canada Lager and I'll be your personal guide. :D

However I've only dove on the west coast once, and that was in Venice as a shore dive. Any other time I've inquired in the Ft. Myers area the response has been the same - boat dives only to a few artificial reefs. The Gulf is not known for it's plethroa of easily accessible dive sites.

Unfortunately the folks best equipped to answer your question are at best still without power, at worst without a home.

Marc

In Bradenton, there's the Sugar Barge, and a couple of "west-coast" reefs. IE, several rocks close enough to see each other with a few gargonians :).

Thanks ... ...we just want to get in and have some fun...warm water , sand and rocks are just fine....

Make sure you let us Conchs know when you will be down here! Travel a little north or east and we have some GREAT spring dives.

At least 3 dives off Bradenton, two reefs and one kind of broken up wreck. A couple of areas for teeth (once you start searching you may find that you want another tank to continue to find more). There are others further south i believe, but i dont know about those sites. A few hours north you are in the springs, a few hours east you have lots of shore diving, take your pick, do you want to drive a few hours each way?

There is also a small but VERY alive reef structure about 1/3 of a mile swim off venice beach just south of the pipes at alhambra. I was so distracted by that discovery that I used up most of a tank exploring it instead of searching for the infamous and ever elusive (except for those who aren't from here) megalodon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom