The straw that broke the divers back.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I?

This chart says YOU'RE wrong Bob.

scubadents.jpg

According to the chart, 74% of scuba fatalities are not caused by cardiac events. Further, we don't know how many of those cardiac events are caused by PFO, arrhythmia or some other congenital defect not related to BMI or six-pack abs, so we can be pretty safe in assuming it's probably significantly less than a quarter of scuba fatalities are caused by poor fitness (using the chart you provided).

Which is pretty damn good because 100% of all deaths are technically "cardiac events".

The point of the original post was to ask all of us to look in the mirror, and see what we can to be safer divers. I think fitness and health screening is an undervalued area where we can all improve. Certain not the only or even the most important thing we can do to be safer.
If that was the point then I wouldn't have even bothered posting here.

But your definition of fitness ... as described in the original post ... reminds me of all the old-timers who still think that if you can't do 100 pushups while wearing your scuba rig then you shouldn't be diving.

The goals may be laudable (for those of a sufficiently young age to achieve them), but they're unrealistic for the typical diver, and irrelevent for any but the exploration diver.

Then we've got this silliness ...

idumb:
Either you're in good physical shape with great aerobic fitness and muscle tone OR you're an obese out of shape couch potato.
Sorry, but that's an incredibly stupid thing to say and contributes nothing at all to the conversation.

Most divers are neither an athlete nor a couch potato ... they're just average folks who are enjoying a hobby. And while a lot of us could probably be in better shape, let's face it, scuba diving DOES get people off their couches. So what's the complaint?

A great deal of what's been stated in this thread is nothing more than whang-waving machismo ... and bears no relevence to diving, or diving safety at all ... the ramblings of a coupla young men trying to prove their manhood.

I ain't impressed.

Enjoy your underwater hockey, if that's what floats your boat. I dive to relax, take pictures, and see what's down there. I played, and coached, enough hockey in my day ... that part of my life is behind me. I don't need to take it underwater with me.

That's just not why I dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Idoc give it a rest.

I am not so shallow that I pick my dive partners by how they look

Hey you started it!

You're telling me that you would not choose one of the following potential buddies over the other based on their appearance?

If that's true, I give you a lot of credit. If it was me, my choice would be clear.

2a7evxh.jpg

so we can be pretty safe in assuming it's probably significantly less than a quarter of scuba fatalities are caused by poor fitness (using the chart you provided).

Even one preventable scuba fatality due to poor fitness is too many.

Sorry, but that's an incredibly stupid thing to say and contributes nothing at all to the conversation.

Most divers are neither an athlete nor a couch potato ...

My quote was taken out of context and if members so choose, check back to the original post to read it as it was intended. People cannot be both "fit" and "out of shape" at the same time.

So Idocsteve, are you saying you only dive with photographers.

Happy Diving

My quote was taken out of context and if members so choose, check back to the original post to read it as it was intended. People cannot be both "fit" and "out of shape" at the same time.

Uh huh ... and was this one taken out of context too?

I knew you were an obese couch potato before I even got to this part..lol

Based on everything you've posted here doc, I don't think you know much about diving at all. I think you're a vacation diver who's got a large ego and a need to stroke it at other people's expense.

I bet lots of fat people like to dive...because in the water everyone is weightless, and for once they're on the same playing field as the rest of us.

Until:

- The get into some current that's moving them in the wrong direction
- They surface from a shore dive and find the tide is pulling them out to sea
- They are trying to board the dive boat in pitching seas
- They're trying to outswim a great white shark and they've got a fit buddy such as myself who realizes that all he has to do is outswim his fat buddy and not the shark

That's for starters
Well, gee ... while you were in here sitting on your arse judging my fitness to dive, I was out there last night diving. And except for the great white shark bit ... which is just your fantasy anyway ... we had pretty much all of that. It was just another night dive for me and my friends ... we had a lot of fun. None of that stuff bothers people who are used to doing it, and who dive in those conditions on a regular basis.

See, unlike yourself, I don't need to "get in shape" for that annual diving vacation. I stay in shape for diving by diving. If your profile is believable, I've done more dives in the last six months than you have in your life ... most in conditions you either wouldn't qualify for or would be too scared to attempt.

Stroke yourself all you want, doc ... I don't have much patience for posers.

Am I?

This chart says YOU'RE wrong Bob.

scubadents.jpg
Now that I'm on a computer that'll let me see your chart I'd just like to comment that posting it to "prove" your point only proves that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

What's the root cause of "embolism"?

What's the root cause of "drowning"?

Bottom line is you don't know ... neither did the person who made those conclusions?

Most divers who drown do so because they ran out of air ... what caused them to run out of air? Most who embolise do so because they panicked and bolted for the surface ... what caused them to panic?

Those are root causes. And the vast majority of the time the only person who knows what caused them can't tell you because he's dead.

If you're going to come onto a worldwide forum and express strong opinions, at least take the time to learn something about the subject first. Otherwise, you just come across as an idiot with strong (and usually wrong) opinions.

Hey you started it!

You're telling me that you would not choose one of the following potential buddies over the other based on their appearance?

If that's true, I give you a lot of credit. If it was me, my choice would be clear.

2a7evxh.jpg
Yeah, uh huh ... like I said earlier, a young man trying to somehow prove his manhood.

What if that little cutie forgets to check her air and you have to donate your reg? What if she then panics and bolts to the surface dragging your sorry butt along for the ride? What will you do? Are you in any way prepared to deal with it?

I've seen it happen.

Everything you've posted in this thread tells me you don't know squat about diving ... and most likely couldn't pay attention to what knowledgeable people were telling you because your ego got in the way.

Your ego won't help you much when things go south suddenly underwater and you discover you chose the wrong dive buddy for all the wrong reasons ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I knew you were an obese couch potato before I even got to this part..lol

Listen NW, I'd really like to take you up on your various offers, however I do not have the level of training to

I'm just reading this Thread. Idcosteve, your remarks to NWGrateful are rude. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Based on everything you've posted here doc, I don't think you know much about diving at all. I think you're a vacation diver who's got a large ego and a need to stroke it at other people's expense.

Everything you've posted in this thread tells me you don't know squat about diving ... and most likely couldn't pay attention to what knowledgeable people were telling you because your ego got in the way.

Your ego won't help you much when things go south suddenly underwater and you discover you chose the wrong dive buddy for all the wrong reasons ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well Bob-

Either I'm a liar or you're completely wrong.

Since I am an accomplished NE Wreck diver with close to 200 dives under my belt and have completed several training courses from SSI Advanced to SDI solo diver, it's a reasonable conclusion that you don't know what you're talking about. But that was obvious from your very first post on this thread.

My certifications are public record, my logbook as well as scans of my certifications are available to view on diverecord.com under the logbook ID "SS".

I'm going to suggest you quit before you look anymore the fool than you already do, if that's at all possible. You already resorted to name calling on this thread before anyone else, and that's a sure sign of your insecurity, general incompetence, and weakness of your side of the argument.

Well Bob-

Either I'm a liar or you're completely wrong.

Since I am an accomplished NE Wreck diver with close to 200 dives under my belt and have completed several training courses from SSI Advanced to SDI solo diver.

Those are nice entry-level courses doc. But they hardly make you an accomplished diver. Only experience can do that.

And 200 dives really ain't that much ... another 200 and you might be at the point to start realizing how much you have yet to learn.

Open your eyes and ears ... if your ego will allow it ... you've got a long way to go before you can presume to know enough about diving to judge anyone else's fitness to dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom