The straw that broke the Camel's back. Intergrated Weights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Dog

Registered
Reaction score
Was down in Key Largo last Friday. As my wife and myself are new divers (10 dives). Brett from Blue Water Divers took great care of us. All of the divers with us were Scubabarders. Great group. (Thanks Michelle and Howard E for the towels!)

This was the first time I used the intergrated weights in my BC. In certification they made me wear a belt. During the first dive I got severe cramping in my leg.
The next day I could not walk. I was there for Wedding and was in agony the whole weekend. I got home and went the my doctor who orderd a MRI. The result was a rupured disk in my back.

I called DAN to ask them if a ruptured disk could be caused by diving. They did not think so.

We surmise that the cause was lifting the weight of the BCD, alum tank and the integrated weights. Just something to think about if you have a marginal back.

Black Dog:
We surmise that the cause was lifting the weight of the BCD, alum tank and the integrated weights. Just something to think about if you have a marginal back.

In the future, insert the weights into the pockets AFTER you put your BC on. It's much easier to lift and put on.

FWIW it took me a few weeks when I first got an integrated system before I figured this one out. :D

Marc

Yeah, and proper body mechanics are really important when lugging the usual three tons of gear

Actually I had the BCD on when I put the weighs in. I think the damage was done when I went to stand up with the BCD on.
If I dive again I think I will have to put the BCD on after i am in the water.
What are the pitfalls from doing this?

Black Dog:
I think the damage was done when I went to stand up with the BCD on.

Are you saying you would not have put on your weight belt until after you were in the water? If this is not the case, then there shouldn't be any difference in the overall weight you're carrying. If it is the case, you could just as easily put the integrated weights in your BC after you're in the water.

Blackdog, there is life after a ruptured disc. I ruptured 2 discs just by sneezing in the wrong position. It's pretty easy to don and doff your gear in the water. Just make sure you tip the DM extra for hauling it up. With physical therapy and proper exercise, you will be diving again with a stronger back.

Try moving some weight from the BC to a belt. The belt will be carried on your hips and mainly off your spine. Also having some weight on your person will make life a lot easier if you ever need to get out of your rig at depth.

Pete

Black Dog:
What are the pitfalls from doing this?

If you drop the weights while at the surface, it will be a short, tiring dive, unless you can get someone to retrieve them for you. So be careful handling them!

This isn't too unheard of- some tech divers will hang their deco bottles off the side of the boat and put them on while floating in the water.

I feel for you!

I did a "clean and jerk" of our 75 lb lab dog into a rubber wash tub on the drive way last June....big mistake. My L5-S1 got bulged - took the rest of the year to gradually recede with PT and chiro help.

I've learned that a nice chunk of cheese tossed into the wash tub works wonders :)

Proper mechanics is definitely the key - I've got a bunch of stretches the PT gave me and they work wonders. I'm still trying to remember I can't quite move the way I used to when I was 20 and everything was a big rubber band.

Ditto! I blew my L5-S1 out in 2000, suffered nerve damage and ended up on the operating room table. Diving is the one thing that makes me feel like I'm 20 years old again. Of course, climbing a ladder onto a boat is sometimes hard with gear on, just take your time and really use your legs for all lifting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom