The straw that broke the Camel's back. Intergrated Weights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I blew L5-S1 20 years ago carrying a box of laundry and was in unspeakable pain for several years - continuously for much of the first year. I had an incompetant HMO in Texas at the time. Much better health care in LA, and neurosurgery has come a long way - which came in handy when I had my cervical spine (C2 through C7) replaced due to a rare form of progressive quadriplegia. There were a few lumbar cases on the ward during my week in the hospital. I think they go in the front on that one and the first couple of days post-op didn't look like fun, but the new surgeries look like they fix that problem. No one should have to put up with that kind of pain. L5-S1 is serious damn pain.

Ask for titanium. And good luck. I spent six months in formal PT after the cervical getting to the point of doing two push ups and the first dive after with an Al 80 and 20 lbs integrated nearly killed me. 18 months out and I'm benching more weight than I did when I was in high school. And I wasn't supposed to walk again, at least not without braces and canes. Looking forward to moving up to doubles.

Get a good surgeon.

Jim

I guess I'm not the only one who had back surgery. I blew my L4-L5 while tying my shoe. I was back in the water 8 weeks later. Yes... the DM's either threw my gear in the water or... had me gear up while sitting on the stern, and they pushed me in. Both methods worked. Also... all my students knew that I didn't carry any gear... I have a wonderful DM student right now who still won't let me carry my gear.

I wear a weight integrated BC. I love it... I hate it when I have to wear a weight belt to teach weight belt removal.

Good luck with your back surgery... and start swimming as soon as you can. Swimming worked wonders for my recovery.

Al

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I guess I will be able to dive again.

Scuba_Dad:
I guess I'm not the only one who had back surgery. I blew my L4-L5 while tying my shoe.

That's how I blew mine - tying my shoe and sneezing simulatenously. Not recommended. I didn't have surgery, though.

I had compression fractures in a heli crash/hard landing and never had a single problem until I started lugging kidlets around. That car seat move is the worst! My son walked at 15 months or something ridiculous..he had to walk because he was one fat baby and I could not pick him up anymore.

Hilarious Catherine...

What everybody said about exercise and watching what you're doing.

Once you hurt your back, you seehow many people risk injury every day with the little things they do. Go to the airport and watch the future back injurees lifting luggage.

Don't twist and lift. Ever. Keep the weight as close to your body as possible. You can hurt your back with 5 lbs, if you lift it a distance from your body. Feel it. When you lift something in front of you, your waist is the balance point and takes all the stress. Don't pick things up unless you have to. Let the ground carry it. Do things in two steps such as drag it closer, then pick it up. Biggest thing is to strengthen your abdomen. A strong middle holds your stomach in and keeps your trunk straight. Otherwise you sag, and your back does all the work. Swimming is excellent exercise for your back.

Back
Top Bottom