The straw that broke the Camel's back. Intergrated Weights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The integrated weights make handling the BC between dives a little
more cumbersome they also make your whole rig a little more tippy in the tank rack.
Ever see a BC/tank setup with 20 pounds of integrated weights fall from a tank
rack, not pretty. It's all personal preference but there are pros and cons on both
systems. I prefer the belt and also four pounds in the trim pockets of the bc. I find
the belt easier to keep track of and also easier than loading up the weight pouches.

My sympathies. Last time I popped my back I was throwing newspapers into recycling bin, thought I saw something that wasn’t supposed to go there, made a jerky movement and SNAP-POP and there it showed on MRI. There are a lot of good bits and bobs here on board, a few things that come to my mind right away:

Rehab your back and give it time to heal properly before abusing it profusely

Create strategies to overcome your weak spot

Keep your body fit, swim as soon as you can, water is great element even if you can’t dive!

Invest in things that will help if needed (tank caddies, right kind of rigs, tanks etc)

Minimize the amount of weight you have to carry; your own, gear in general, and lead

If possible get a tank that gives you bonus negative buoyancy to further minimize the amount of lead you have to hang from your vulnerable bodyparts

Minimize the times you have to stay fully geared up, especially standing/sitting in unsteady positions (moving/vibrating/slipping around) or in cold

Let others help you

Keep your spirits up and believe that it’s going to get better even when it occasionally feels like it worsened

Wish you a speedy recovery!

After six back surgeries, being fused from L3-S1 and havig L1 & L2 starting to degenerate I can relate. I too took up diving as I can get neutral in the water and the pain goes away. I recently went to a DUI weight system for two reasons. Better overall support of weight and in water if I need to dof my rig I won't have to fight being negative. (Learned lesson from OW class)

Go Slow, get others to help, gear up in the water if needed, enjoy. Did I say go slow? Oh yea, and let others to help and don't forget to go slow. Remember to get others to help and go slow.

I think I got most of it as long as I remember to go slow and get others to help. :D

What BC model do you use.

A hardpack is supposed to help you with the weight, because the whole package doesnt just pull on your shoulders. Is it vest or backinflated?

I have a hardpack backinflated and I love because it doesnt pull on the back and the shoulder. The weight release systeme is all around the hips. Its great.

If the belt was working for you, stick with it! Go with what works best for you. I rather like my belt!
Hows the back doing since then? Have you gotten anyhting figured out?

In most cases, putting your BC on in the water shouldn't be a problem. On a boat dive, just inflate the BC so that it floats. Have someone put it in the water for you. If it was a crewmember, tip them later. You (I assume) will be in a wetsuit and should already have your fins on, so you will float after doing the entry of your choice. Just swim over to your BC, wiggle into it and fasten up. In many ways this is easier than donning it in the boat. I have seen this used successfully with handicapped divers, as well as kids and petite ladies.

Doesn't work well if you are wearing a weight belt.

Once you are healed, a method that works for me is:
Set the weights or weight pouches somewhere that you won't need to bend over to pick them up! (Guess how I figured that out!) Put on your BC. Stand up carefully, using your arms for support, if you can. Then add the weights. Don't sit back down.

In my opinion, trying to add the weight pouches in the water would be a good way to lose them. If standing with that much weight is a problem, donning the BC in the water is easy....at least for everyone except the guy that has to lower it over the side!

Happy Trails! ...trails of bubbles, that is!
Thomjinx

Piikki and carldarl hit some key things. Asking others for help is not a crime. It took some time for me to get used to THAT idea. Its NOT a sign of weakness or dishonor to ask for help. Let people help you!

Create strategies to overcome your weak spot. As you recover, you'll do some of this automatically, without thinking. Other activities, you'll need to plan out.

With major injuries, the road to recovery is filled with many, very dark days. Keep finning and you'll get through them as well.

I did my L5 - S1 in 2001. I found that integrated weights were a god-send as the load was on my shoulders not on my hips. What everyone said about mechanics is right on. Physio too. I hurt my back swinging an empty oil drum off the ground; no weight to speak of just a bad twist or angle. It's a great motivator... get to the gym or you'll have to be seeing a surgeon.

Sorry to hear about your back. As for putting your gear on underwater, I do it all the time. Just inflate and toss it in the water or jump in and ask someone to pass it down. Personally, I think it's easier to put it on underwater than on the water with the BC bobbing up and down. The first time I tried this I dumped the air and started sinking and as I was putting my BC on I realized I forgot to put the reg in my mouth :D
Hope you feel better and good luck with the recovery.

Hoping your back surgery goes well and that you heal quickly, Black Dog! I had major surgery last summer and I was back diving around 8 weeks later. I got by with a little help from my friends. (Someone should write a song about that...) My dive buddies carried my heavy gear to the dock for me, and lowered it to me after I climbed down the ladder. It was easy to don and doff in the water, and your friends won't mind- they will be glad to see you feeling better and back in the drink. As your body becomes stronger, you will be able to take over the lugging duties, little by little. Again, my prayers are that you heal very quickly!

Back
Top Bottom