The solo diving mentality with a buddy diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Superlyte, that's a horrible story, but one which would never have happened if the basic rules of cave diving had been followed. I had a big argument yesterday with a buddy who was suggesting that it was not necessary to mark intersections, if you knew the cave well; I exploded at him and told him I will never, ever, EVER pass an intersection and not mark the exit direction.

With regards to the original question, I think there are two ways to plan a dive. One is to ensure one has EVERYTHING one might need for any conceivable situation, in one's skill set or on one's person. This is the solo diving approach.

The other is to share some resources. For example, I do not dive with a spare gauge. If my gauge fails, we abort the dive, and exit using my buddy's. Similarly, my spare gas is on my buddy's back. We may not have any one person carrying all the jump spools for the dive; it may be planned that, at some point, the leader will ask for a spool from one of his teammates.

In any dive, I'm reasonably comfortable assuming no more than one catastrophic failure -- and that, if everyone involved responds calmly and appropriately to that failure, no more will occur. Equipment failure, navigation failure, illness or injury are catastrophic failures -- but so is buddy separation. I do not assume both will occur at once. Maybe someday I'll find out that is not conservative enough, but a lot of people I know, who have done far more dives, and more difficult dives than I will ever do, operate under that structure and have done so safely.

In any dive, I'm reasonably comfortable assuming no more than one catastrophic failure -- and that, if everyone involved responds calmly and appropriately to that failure, no more will occur. Equipment failure, navigation failure, illness or injury are catastrophic failures -- but so is buddy separation. I do not assume both will occur at once.

That's quite an assumption IMO. Just a while ago I became entangled in kelp and experienced buddy seperation at the same time. I don't plan for two catastrophic equipment failures while rec diving but I fully anticipate buddy seperation (in particular) while dealing with an initial issue. This can be because of low vis, high current, confusion over signals or plain old panic. I wish it were not so but...

When looking at risk mitigation in this light there are two ways of approaching the problem:

Controlling the external environment
Controlling the internal environment

Not diving in certain conditions and selecting well trained buddies is an example of controlling the external environment. Becoming self reliant is an example of controlling the internal environment.

Personally, I choose to focus on the internal more than the external because I just don't feel I can adequately control other people; though I do limit my diving to some degree to compensate for my self reliant approach. I don't dive as deep or long as I might were I in a well trained team. However, I also enjoy the freedom of diving where I want, when I want and with whom I want. That is something I could not do if I relied on controlling my extrenal environment as the primary means of risk mitigation.

The team concept is a system that can either work or fail, depending on how seriously the divers commit themselves to the system. In itself, it is neither safe nor unsafe. The same can be said for the self reliant approach. It is a system that requires understanding and skillsets and its success or failure is dependant upon the the degree to which the diver commits themself developing functional mastery within it.

One day, the mainstream diving world may see it as a system in its own right as I, and some others do, instead of simply a failure of the buddy system.

All my dives ,either with someone else or not, is treated as a solo dive.

X2

The only buddy that are actual buddy are the one I share my bed with (she does not dive yet) and my 10y/o boy (he needs supervision).

As for everyone else. Solo. Even when we are diving the same ocean on the same wreck.

My biggest problem with buddy diving is my buddy does not reciporcate the buddy treatment back. Always ends up being an underwater babysitting session.

Solo Diving is one of our most requested classes at ETDS. As I promote it to our potential students I remind them that this is a course that makes EVERYONE a bettter and safer diver. We all dive solo at one time or another. If you dive with a photographer, basically you are Solo Diving. The photographer is focusing on potential shots not watching you and keeping track of you. Haven't we all lost track of our buddy, if only for a minute or two. That is Diving Solo! It only makes sense to add to your diving skills, to know how to manage on your own...Solo Diving training makes you a better diver for yourself as well as for your buddies. And then of course there is that great vacation dive - Being certified as a Solo Diver you don't have to get stuck with someone you don't know and you know nothing of his/her diving skills! Just a great training to have in your diving training!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how much people on scubaboard can completely 100% (okay, let's say 98.5%) agree with each other and yet continue to argue over semantics and wordplay.

Some of these terms you guys are arguing don't even have an real meaning! Honestly, who the hell cares what one guy considers a 'solo mentality' and another considers some other kind of mentality, etc etc. You should be able to take care of yourself AND be a good buddy. I think it's pretty obvious we all agree. Every post seems to stink of this type of arguing. If the semantics are all that damn important to you guys why don't you define your personal meanings of the terms you are using in your posts. :p

Agreed...100%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom