The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are a couple of "reviews that came to me as pm's recently - though I'd share- both from SB subscribers:

…the wife read your book today, she said it was cute, but i guess you bash smokers a bit in the beginning of it, so she was not that impressed lol
she will live

I bought and read your book a while back, and loved it. Have passed it on to friends!

Ordered both the other day. Can't wait for them to arrive!!!

Here are the substantive reviews from the other thread about this book- so we can keep this is a one thread review:

from koozmani: Great read. My gf was psyched that I was reading a diving book that didn't involve someone dying.

from cwhite6: I bought Dennis' book last week from Amazon. With shipping it was $14.94. Being a person new to diving (one dive and start certification next week), I was looking for something else to read besides magazines. I have to say, it was a great read. Didn't take overly long to read it, but worth it. Alot of the tips are things a new person like myself would not learn until doing it wrong and getting fussed at (how to properly flip out of a small boat without smacking someone is one). Some of the tips are common sense items that I am sure folks with a good number of dives do already, but I would not have thought of. The stories where really funny and served well to illustrate a point. I highly recommend getting the book and reading it. You will enjoy it.

from scubaERDoc: Great fast and light read. Finished it in a night. Definitely recognized some of the characters in the book from my travels
icosm14.gif

from Scuba_Noob : Just read the book and enjoyed it a lot. Good casual reading with some important tips.

A couple of light criticisms - the first couple of chapters seemed a little snobby and had some subjective opinions presented in a factual manner. Also, you seem to emphasize not talking to bad divers about what's wrong or how to improve (i.e., avoiding conflict) UNLESS it's extremely excessive. While I agree that cases of bad diving are often minor and aren't worth a talk, in some cases, I like to talk to someone privately about what peeved me during the dive (emphasis on private). For example, that case with the diver who just ditched his buddy to go 50ft below him - eventually someone did confront him while he was raging at you, and I think that was necessary.

I thought most of the book was very helpful. Some people just don't know or have the necessary social etiquette or dive etiquette. Maybe they weren't taught or just don't care. I think most divers would do well reading the book. A little short, though. Write more!

Possible title: "The Little Book of Scuba Diving Etiquette" or "Diving Manners: Etiquette Essentials for Success in Scuba Diving."

from DrDog: Divemaster Dennis was great to send me an autographed copy with some stickers. Took me a couple days to get to reading it..

I thought it was a cute "tongue in cheek " view of diving and the diving culture. I find many people I have encountered and a lot of people that post on here, could easily consider themselves Scuba Snobs
It has quite a few personal anecdotes, and it had me chuckling at quite a few parts.

I enjoyed reading this short book, and I think more books need to have follow up quizzes at the end.

Thanks Divemaster D for the copy!!

from Malpaso: Just downloaded the Nook version last night. As a new diver, I found it very educational. My one complaint is that after about half way through it I had to stop reading because my eyes were watering and my ribs hurt from laughing so hard. Educational and entertaining is a rare combination.
thumbb.gif

I had read some of the negative reviews in different places on line. All I can say about those people is, they either have no understanding of sarcasm, or, they're the people you are writing about!

Last edited:
Great read so far. My only complaint is the publishers name across every page of the first one. I haven't started the second one yet, but was very happy to see that part was removed! There are some VERY funny sections, some I didn't think about that sections, and some holy crap...I've seen that sections. Never stops amazing me some of the stupid things people do, and I will gladly let friends know about the books! Thank you!!!

We are proud to say that the Scuba Snobs have just renewed our status as a supporting business member of scubaboard.com for the next 6 months. We encourage other businesses and professionals to do the same, and for all scubaboarders, thank you for buying The Scuba SNobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, and Book 2!
DivemasterDennis, Scubasnobs.com

Here's a couple of reviews from amazon canada readers:

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dive tips presented in a funny way! 2012

By J. Sisemore -

A fun, lighthearted read. The authors had a way of turning those annoying dive moments into funny ones for me. There were a couple typos that distracted a teeny bit (stuff like "dive sight" and "ettiquette") but that's okay -- the writers are self-proclaimed scuba snobs, not spelling snobs.

As for the lone reviewer that called the book a "rant," that just wasn't true. I suspect some of the scenarios described in the book must have hit just a wee bit too close to home. The book wasn't a rant but a funny way to remind all of us how to be more considerate of each other on those cramped dive boats. I wish this book was included with every scuba class!

Really enjoying this book Feb 14 2012
By shortcut deb

Not quite done reading but I am really enjoying this book. I love that the authors shoot straight from the hip and call it as they see it. It's snarky which makes it funny. If you can relate to them, then you are a Scuba Snob! Regardless if you have that type of sense of humor, their tips ad rules for safety and fun should be followed by all divers. Now we just have to get the word out!

Earlier today The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette was as high as #4 on the top 100 Scuba Books list on Amazon ( over 1800 titles listed in that category) Thanks to all who have bought it! Be sure to read Book 2, too.

If you are going to the Beneath the Sea Expo in New Jersey ( March 22-24) be sure to hunt don the Scuba Radio location- Greg the Divemaster will be giving away several autographed copies both the Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, and the Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette Book 2 through the show! Orf you can buy your own as paperback or e- book from any on line book outlet!

Back
Top Bottom