The SCUBA Police and the Vintage Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not when it come to vintage!

Sweet! I would have drown him.
Why polute the water.
Sink his boat at least you'd get an artificial reef out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aquilla or Viking ... no problem.

I think that's "Aquala" :wink: They are still available, you know. I used to own one.
ClearLake74.jpg

I wonder what that guy would have said if the diver with a Trieste II double hose regulator, complete with an octopus and SPG, a steel 80 cubic foot tank, clad in an Aquala dry suit, had climbed out onto that boat?

Concerning sinking the boat, it reminds me of another dive flag violation, but this one in the 1960s. One of our club members had been diving under a dive flag in Yaquina Bay, Oregon, and had a boat use her flag as a turn-around point when he was speeding across the bay. He made a mistake, however. He came around her flag at high speed twice, and she had surfaced beside for float. She noted his boat's number, then found it after the dive at a local dock. She made a night dive that night, and in the morning the vessel had a diving spear in it's bottom. I don't think she sunk it, but 'Ginny made her point.

I really enjoyed the story, and the comments.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Yes, you can still get a valve-less "historical" Aquala dry suit, purchasable online. The company began life as "Bel Aqua Water Sports", founded by Bill Barada, one of SCUBA diving's great characters.
02.jpg

The firm's name changed to "Aquala" in 1958, combining the Latin word for "water" (aqua) with "LA" (Los Angeles), where the company was located. Aquala is now based in Louisiana, which is kind of appropriate, because "LA" is the abbreviated form of the state's name.

Wow, that's very stylish. At what depth did the squeeze become intolerable?

I think that's "Aquala" :wink:
You are quite correct (I used to own one too). I was working on some photos of the African Hawk-eagle, and I suspect I transposed it's scientific name: Aquila spilogaster.

Wow, that's very stylish. At what depth did the squeeze become intolerable?

There was no squeeze--we put our mask skirt under the hood, and blew in air from our mask. When we ascended, we vented through the cuff of one arm. The suit worked pretty well that way. I went ahead and placed an inflator hose on mine, then really messed it up when I tried to put a back entry zipper off an old Air Force survival suit, and it leaked after that. It was still better than a wet suit alone (I wore my Farmer John bottoms under the Aquala dry suit with a sweater over the wet suit bottoms). In the photo above I'm at about 35 feet depth in Clear Lake, Oregon (headwaters of the McKenzie River in the Cascade Mountains, east of Eugene, Oregon).

John

Get out!

Thanks for the details, I've never seen one of these suits.

There was no squeeze--we put our mask skirt under the hood, and blew in air from our mask. When we ascended, we vented through the cuff of one arm. The suit worked pretty well that way. I went ahead and placed an inflator hose on mine, then really messed it up when I tried to put a back entry zipper off an old Air Force survival suit, and it leaked after that. It was still better than a wet suit alone (I wore my Farmer John bottoms under the Aquala dry suit with a sweater over the wet suit bottoms). In the photo above I'm at about 35 feet depth in Clear Lake, Oregon (headwaters of the McKenzie River in the Cascade Mountains, east of Eugene, Oregon).

John

She made a night dive that night, and in the morning the vessel had a diving spear in it's bottom. I don't think she sunk it, but 'Ginny made her point.

I never put a hole in a boat, but there might have been one with twin outboards with counter rotating props that somehow had the props reversed one night.:D

I also seem to remember another boat that had a lot of problems because somehow a very frayed poly rope got all tangled in the prop.:shocked2: It seems the rope was tied into the bow eye .........

And, I always wanted to see what a handfull of clay would do in a water intake of an inboard or outboard.

Back
Top Bottom