The SCUBA Police and the Vintage Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is a kick. I bet the kid instructor :dork2: would have gone bonkers :shocked2: if he saw a rebreather 10 years ago. But then again, he was probably still in junior high.

X

I just read a post in a thread on "snorkel use" that stated that in Laguna Beach, CA you can get cited for scuba diving without a snorkel. I wonder what else is illegal. I've heard they close the beaches to diving when the surf gets over four feet! I guess that means I was breaking the law all those times I went diving during storms.

I had forgotten about this thread until it resurfaced recently. So, I guess an update is in order.

I had occasion to be in the neighborhood of the dive shop in question back in December and decided to stop in to check it out. The "shop" wasn't easy to find. It turned out to be in the owner's garage, out back of his house. The owner is a likable guy and we talked about various aspects of diving. We eventually got around to talking about vintage dive gear and I learned that he actually thinks diving old equipment is fine as long as the gear is kept in good shape and the diver knows what he's doing. So, I related what had happened out on the lake.

After he calmed down and his language was once more fit for human ears, he told me that the instructor in question has never worked for his shop. Rather, he had simply used the shop as a contact point for recruiting students. The shop owner is not, himself, a certified instructor and relies on freelancers to train anyone who comes in looking for a class. The guy in question had done more harm than good for the shop's business and, I was told, was banned from the shop not long after my encounter with him on Grayson Lake.

The owner was concerned when I told him I'd posted my experience on SB, until I assured him I hadn't named his shop. His operation is marginal at best and he doesn't need any adverse publicity, so I promised to keep him, and his business, to myself.

Before I left, he handed me coupons for ten free air fills for when I'm diving in his area and apologized for what happened.

Is this Guy in the Huntington area off rt. 60?
How is Grayson for diving? the last tme I was there it was half drained for work being done. Maybe around 2004?

Mike

Is this Guy in the Huntington area off rt. 60?
How is Grayson for diving? the last tme I was there it was half drained for work being done. Maybe around 2004?

Mike

No. The shop I mentioned is in Southern Ohio. The one in Huntington is the one I do business with. That is where my oldest son was certified and where my youngest son will be certified this summer.

Grayson Lake is not the best place to dive, but it will do in a pinch. The visibility is not that good and at fifty feet, near the dam, it gets dark enough that you need a light even at high noon. Down to about 15 to 20 feet, the vis is usually 5 to 8 feet. There is a cove behind the camping area where the rock face goes down in steps. I like to go down to about 20 feet and sit on a rock and feed the fish. There really isn't much more to do there than that. At least you can get wet, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom