The SCUBA Police and the Vintage Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was awesome, I think you used all the tact necessary. To each his own on this planet, as an instructor he was just upset that he did not make any money off of your adventure. Several years ago while u/w metal detecting a lake beach I was surprised to find small rocks decending in my vicinity, mind you this was 0600 hrs on a sunday morning in western NH, I was alone and relaxing in 5ffw. Upon surfacing I was questioned by a well dressed man and his family as to exactly what I was doing? I said "baking a cake, want a slice?" I know, no tact whatsoever. I was promptly called several unsavory words and told I had to leave at once, whatever...I finished my dive and upon returning to my truck found a nasty note from the gentleman, gotta love the USA.

So what kind of cake was it?

That was awesome, I think you used all the tact necessary. To each his own on this planet, as an instructor he was just upset that he did not make any money off of your adventure. Several years ago while u/w metal detecting a lake beach I was surprised to find small rocks decending in my vicinity, mind you this was 0600 hrs on a sunday morning in western NH, I was alone and relaxing in 5ffw. Upon surfacing I was questioned by a well dressed man and his family as to exactly what I was doing? I said "baking a cake, want a slice?" I know, no tact whatsoever. I was promptly called several unsavory words and told I had to leave at once, whatever...I finished my dive and upon returning to my truck found a nasty note from the gentleman, gotta love the USA.

What was the man's reason for his anger at you for diving in the lake?

The cake was and always is a 'urinal cake' hahahaha, the man was upset because he was a local selectman for the town I was in and he felt that I should not be detecting the local beach. There is no ordinance against this and I have always back filled my holes. The beach was closed for the season and I used the public access. The man and his family were on their way to church when they saw my truck and related dive stuff, he felt that throwing rocks at me was an appropriate method of bringing me to the surface! the best part of the whole ordeal was his wife laughing at him over my answer and telling her husband that he asked for it.

Here's your sign...

I'd have called the cops and filed a complaint for assault.

I suggest you call the shop and let them know some fool is using their name. And if their response is not much better than their instructor's, you might as well fill in their name in the first post.

I totally agree.....After reading your story I found it hard to believe that an instructor would be so uninformed.

I would call the dive shop that he mentioned and let them know how experienced the instructor "representing" them handles himself.

Dear Padi,

Earlier this month I became an open water diver through your e-learning program. I felt so much pride as I watched my c-card come out of the laser printer. Two weeks later after discovering my local padi dealer, I was a licensed instructor.

In case you can't tell already, I take this sport seriously and don't like shortcuts or taking the easy route. So it is with regret that I inform you of a situation that happened recently.

too funny! both the original post and this one had me shaking my head. thanks for the laugh(s)!!

I was so glad to read this article. I entered the SCUBA world in 1960 when I purchased a tank, Double Hose Regulator, knife, weights, mast and snrokel for $100 bucks. The tank did not even have a tank pack only straps. I dove in Lake Arrowhead in the mountains of Southern Cal. Diving there was not legal even then. The San Bernardino County Sheriffs Dept underwater rescue unit found me and took me under their wing and I wound up with the pack, Sportsways Navy unit and some much needed instruction. I dove with this equipment for 16 years and would still do it with confidence if I hadn't sold it and left diving for some 20 years.

Am so glad to see there are those who feel the same way.

I honestly feel sorry for the students of " Dive God" . I cannot help but wonder how many people that this jerk has forever ruined the love of diving.

True dat. One person nearly ruined my love of vintage diving, but love is stronger than hate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom