The Scuba death rate...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"8) Check your SPG regularly and turn back when you need to;"

alternatively plan the dive, condering gas needed,time,depth, etc etc. The spg should just confirm that you ahve the amount of gas you think you have

verybaddiver:
"8) Check your SPG regularly and turn back when you need to;"

alternatively plan the dive, condering gas needed,time,depth, etc etc. The spg should just confirm that you ahve the amount of gas you think you have

I did not mean to confuse you with syntax. So ...

8) Check your SPG regularly;
9) Turn back when you need to;
etc

On a deco dive, my turn around point is usually determined by my timer; on an NDL dive, my turn around point is usually determined by my buddy's SPG. I myself seem to have gills, as it were.

Again you are missing the point :>. If you plan the dive properly you shouldn't have to "check the spg regularly"

verybaddiver:
Also the YBOD is called "yellow box of death" for a reason :>.
That's why I bought a black Megalodon. As far as I can tell, yellow seems to be the problem. :wink:

verybaddiver:
Again you are missing the point :>. If you plan the dive properly you shouldn't have to "check the spg regularly"

Uncle Pug, is this you, masquerading as a PADI AOW diver with a single GUE class under your belt? I know you are testing me, right?

I always check my SPG regularly. And I check my buddy's as well, at least once, half way through the planned dive. We have signals for counting down the last 1000 psi as well.

I remember reading about how at the Large Marathon races where Thousands of runners line up to run, how at each race there are several deaths, heart attacks, heat exhaustion and so on down to broken bones and sprains.

Bottom line is people will and do die from any type of strenous activities.

I once saw a statistic about the number of people who die each year by having vending machines fall on them. Not that it was a huge number in absolutes, but given how safe we think we are when dealing with vending machines, the number was freightenlngly high.

Turning to diving ... The reality of diving is that there are risks. Just the fact humans are not designed to be underwater for long periods of time makes diving risky. So, the fair thing to say is that given the nature of the activity, there are far fewer serious injuries than one might expect. And that's good enough for me. Let's get wet.

To say there is a statistical probability of a DCS hit based on the total estimated number of dives done in a year and the number of hits is a falacy. If one regularly exceeds the tables, the chance is much greater. If one never dives deeper than 20 or 30 feet, the chance is much lower. So, what is the statistic for dives like the ones I will be doing? There are none.

For perspective it might be well to quote a sign that was on a local church's sign board:

"Living Healthy Is The Slowest Way To Die"

The point is that unless there are some Lazarus Family folks out there we are all going to depart this life sooner or later. So, don't get too concerned with "safety". Instead learn enough to make reasonable, to the person estimating, estimates of risk and reward for everything we do.

ArcticDiver:
So, don't get too concerned with "safety". Instead learn enough to make reasonable, to the person estimating, estimates of risk and reward for everything we do.
Safe (as I've pointed out before) means "without risk." As long as the training agencies tell the public that diving is "safe" people can not estimate risk and reward because even if they don't completely believe that foolishness, it will tend to skew their evaluation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom