The Scuba Club--West Palm Beach, FLA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean quest scuba is the way to go. I drive down there every year just to dive with them. Capt Sandy knows every inch of the reefs there. They're my favorite dive op anywhere.

I ended up diving with The Scuba Club. Good experience. Helpful boat staff--I learned more about setting up my equipment--used to more service on other dive boats--good learning experience. They were available when I needed them, however.
As for the diving--minimal viz (30-40 ft) and VERY fast current, so we cruised too fast over the reef. Did see a giant stingray lying on the bottom, and some interesting coral.

Anybody have experience diving with The Scuba Club in West Palm Beach, Fla. Going down next week, and looking for a safe, reputable dive operation in West Palm Beach. Thanks.

When I got restarted with diving two years ago, I did most of my diving with SC. Good DMs who watch out for newer divers.

SC runs a lot of single tank dives, which are fairly priced, but I don't really like single tank dives any longer. If you are looking for a Friday afternoon double tank dive, they are a good choice. For a while, Scuba Club was about the only game in town for Friday afternoons, though a few other shops, like JDC, began running Friday afternoon trips this summer.

SC does tend to go to about 12 sites with a fair amount of frequency (but then again, so do a lot of boats in this area: can't tell you how many times I've been to Area 51 with JDC, an operator I like). If you dove with SC weekly, going to the same sites might get a bit old, but note that the sites tend to be rich in fish life, nurse sharks, eels, turtles etc.. Since I probably only go out with SC half a dozen times each year, it does not feel so repetitive to me and I enjoy the dives.

One of the best dives I've ever done was with the Scuba Club. During Goliath Grouper aggregation last year, the boat took two of us out to the Mizpah and we plopped in the sand next to the boat for much of the time and simply marveled at these beautiful beasts as they swam above and around us. That was the first time I'd ever seen so many GG in one place.

I also did my AOW with SC last year and was very pleased with the instructor, Ernie.

SC also once loaned me a reg when my Mares failed (just had it serviced at another shop and that shop did a crappy job). Wayne did his best to fix it (they don't carry Mares gear anymore) and when he couldn't, he loaned me one of his regs gratis. I was very grateful

With all that being said, I like the operation and the people a lot: all of the people that work there are great and high quality folks. I really don't like the single tank dives that they schedule for most days. If I can play hooky from work during the week, they are my first choice on their two tank days, but are seldom my choice on Saturdays.

I moved to Florida last summer and started diving again after a twenty year layoff. I took a refresher course in Key Largo. Living in Vero Beach I was looking for a place close to do some more boat diving. Splitlip steered me to The Scuba Club. It was perfect for me at that point.

My only complaint was the platform on the back of the boat and no ladder. I have had both knees scoped and that platform wiped my knees out. Or matbe I'm just uber klutzy. Now I dive pretty much exclusively with Jupiter Dive Center or if time permits head further south to Boynton.

Is that the boat that used to be Fathoms o' Fun?

I moved to Florida last summer and started diving again after a twenty year layoff. I took a refresher course in Key Largo. Living in Vero Beach I was looking for a place close to do some more boat diving. Splitlip steered me to The Scuba Club. It was perfect for me at that point.

My only complaint was the platform on the back of the boat and no ladder. I have had both knees scoped and that platform wiped my knees out. Or matbe I'm just uber klutzy. Now I dive pretty much exclusively with Jupiter Dive Center or if time permits head further south to Boynton.

Ouch!
Sorry. Never thought to mention that. But FWIW, they will also permit you to slide out of your rig at the platform and haul it up for you, then haul you aboard.

Is that the boat that used to be Fathoms o' Fun?

Don't know Debbie. Same boat since I first boarded in '06 with a new co-worker who was a fan.

The platform you shimmy (beached whale) on actually folds down when the crew sets up and is below the surface. Timing the swells can pop you up nicely on your butt or belly. In flat seas it is a benefit to have paddle fins.

The platform is usually called the whale platform and U feel like a beached whale (stated above ) .You roll on it like a whale trying to get back into the boat .I am custom to using a ladder with dive boats that I don't think I can dive with them again .But the op was great no complaints .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom