The Sandbar Grand Cayman is a Fraud/Scam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholaspiet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
PLEASE BE WARNED

It is this authors best estimate that this is a scam. How do I know, I drove 1100 miles roundtrip to participate in this job interview. I gave them $300 as a part of the job application process. The money was for Grand Cayman Immigration Filing Fee, Medical, and for diving at the Springs. There were at least twenty other perspective employees in attendance. You can Google "The Sandbar at Grand Cayman" to see the site.

In addition, a posting on this very board about a week ago; a person mentioned that they lived in the Cayman's half the year and never heard of these folks. In addition to not returning my calls, they are however working with/or inviting my roommate to join them on this outing. Please be aware. No, I don't not have any "legal proof". This is in my own best judgment. I only hope it prevents anyone else from being taken by these scoundrels.

Safe Diving
Nick

The fraud begins with a blind Ad on either Craigslist/Job Board. This is a copy of the email you will receive. They'll ask for $400 up-front in order to cover Immigration, Medical, Vortex Spring Dive, and Hotel. Sure, you get the hotel but that's all. Actually, they did take us out to dinner. But, with the numbers that show up, in my case approrixmately 20 divers or so, they still make out like bandits. Also, the Spearboard also has information which lends me to believe it is a fraud.

See Email below.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello,

To eliminate a lot of repetitive questions and not to waste your time or ours, we are sending this email to those who have expressed an interest.

The open positions are for our new 16 X 50 catamaran charter/diving deck boat in GRAND CAYMAN. It is similar to the 12 X 32 boat you see on our website. ]Welcome to The Sandbar at Grand Cayman Island: The Best Private Dive Charters Anywhere![/url]). Our boat design allows us to unfasten the deck seating and to reconfigure the deck for diving, dinner parties, sunset cruises and even pews for a wedding - simple or elegant. It is equipped with twin 200 HP Mercury LS motors and 12V and 120V power systems. An extra comfort of having a bathroom onboard allows us to stay out all day.

We will normally charter three to four dives a day along with a sunset cruise. Our night dive is unique in a couple of different ways. We will sail about five minutes out through the reef and attach the mooring line to a floating buoy system. Why is this so special? At the flick of a switch we power up six underwater floodlights. Each of these lights has 50 million candlepower that illuminates the reef and the marine life that comes alive at night. We then lower an underwater video camera that will display on an LCD TV. This video feed also goes to an onboard computer/DVD burner that allows our guests to take home a DVD of their dive to share with family and friends.

WHAT DO WE OFFER OUR EMPLOYEES?

We pay for your medical exam, work permit and all pertinent immigration fees.
We provide an airline ticket in and out of Cayman.
We pay $100.00usd cash per day worked. All tips are yours.
Company provided shared fully furnished living facilities on North Sound beach.
Receive further PADI certifications up to and including instructor at no cost to you.
Company paid medical and 3% retirement benefits.
After a year of employment, you will receive a $2,000.00usd bonus.
Personal articles, food and entertainment are your responsibility.

THE SCHEDULE FOR THE INTERVIEW WILL BE AS FOLLOWS:

April 10th & 11th – Vortex Spring - DeFuniak Springs,Florida

We will meet at the Comfort Inn at noon on Saturday for the initial meeting and paperwork.

We will dive Saturday afternoon and then stay at the hotel Saturday night.

Sunday we will have a morning dive and then will complete paperwork.

Bring all personal dive gear. There is a dive shop at the site for any
equipment you may need to rent.

The costs involved with a hiring seminar are:

A hotel room for the Saturday night stay.
An insurance rider to cover you while you are diving with us.
Instructor and divemaster cost for the checkout dives.

THIS IS A VERY EXPENSIVE PROCESS FOR US. REPLY ONLY IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT RELOCATING EITHER FULL OR PART TIME TO THE CAYMAN ISLANDS.

Once your paperwork is completed, it is sent to our attorney in Cayman for processing.

When your paperwork is accepted by the Cayman Islands government, it is then our responsibility to pay the following:

A roundtrip airline ticket to and from Grand Cayman.
Medical exam as required by Cayman immigration.
Work permit.
Physicals and HIV tests will be completed in the George Town Hospital on Grand Cayman. This gives us the communication with Cayman Immigration that we desire, (their hospital, their test, no mistakes on our part).

In Vortex Springs you will meet with owners and newly hired team members. We will be able to see firsthand your diving capabilities and how well you interact with others.

We are accepting a limited number of applications for this final interview.

We have included attachments for the Cayman Employment Application, Company Agreement, Cayman Work Permit and the Cayman Medical Release Form.

If you are still interested and have further questions, please contact us Monday through Friday, 11:00am to 6:00pm and Saturday, 11:00am to 4:00pm at 1-866-948-3483. If we are unavailable to answer, please be sure to leave your name and number so we can return your call.

Looking forward to talking with you,

JON

PLEASE BE WARNED

It is this authors best estimate that this is a scam. How do I know, I drove 1100 miles roundtrip to participate in this job interview. I gave them $300 as a part of the job application process. The money was for Grand Cayman Immigration Filing Fee, Medical, and for diving at the Springs. There were at least twenty other perspective employees in attendance. You can Google "The Sandbar at Grand Cayman" to see the site.

Just as a "heads-up", no legitimate employer (in any industry) will ask a job seeker to pay for an interview.

You may need to pay your own transportation to get yourself to the interview, however you should never have to pay anything for the actual interview, and should never pay any "government" or "bank" or "medical" fees to anybody except the service provider. If GC wants your money, they'll let you know. If there's a fee for diving, you can pay the dive op. If there's a medical fee, the doc will tell you.

Terry

This happened in Florida? Contact the state's Attorneys General,state Consumer Affairs Fraud division, or (as here in Nevada) the Secretary of State's office. Also the police for that locality. File a complaint, at least. Then it's on record and any officials sniffing around a scam usually shut it down. Unless you're Bernie Madoff. And next time, no money up front, check with the Better Business Bearue. Also a call to the authorities, or tourist officials(?), in the Caymans, or even the yellow pages could have tipped you off.

Last edited:
I have contacted the local authorities. These folks were pretty sophisticated. Even the pictures on their web site, is them! Just notice the use of sunglasses and a profile shot. Also, here is the real deal clincher. After the "test dive" you gather that evening and are told that you all have been hired and that your monies will be reimbursed. They tell you that they want the money upfront to weed out those who are not serious. At my point in life, I don't have an ego about such things. I will recover fine. But, know that I had an attorney review the application and saw nothing out of order. Contacting the Cayman's was suppose to have been done by some of the other participants. There were over 20 folks involved. Who was apart of the scam and who wasn't, I'll never know. I just hope they can catch them in the act. This is a event that WILL BE TAKING place. So, if you have the influence or contacts, please help me bring some justice to these folks. It's the next poor ( passionate diver like me ) who I'm trying to protect. Thanks for your support and ideas. I'll contact the state of Florida Attorney General. I'm in touch with the local authorities already. Hopefully, they'll get to the bottom of this. Again, this is in my opinion. I only have my own fraud as proof. My intent is not to slander but warn others. Anyone else who has any information, please post.

All their phones numbers they list are for Kansas.

They Cayman country code is 345.

Pretty sketchy. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Lets say your actually work full time for them at $100/day, $500/week, $2000/month, $24000/year, plus a $2k bonus after a year, plus medical, plus retirement. That is a possible $30k when it is all said and done. And they'll pay for IDC and stuff. Wow, sign me up.

I hop you get this worked out!

hmmm, I moved to cayman 15 years ago (1995) and live there the next 5 years (to 2000), I worked a year at the Lone Star Bar (BIG Dive industry hangout) and the rest in the dive industry there. I never saw this guy.

Is it common to call PADI Advanced Open Water cert Open Water Two? The only reference I can find is for the movie, Open Water 2. I would have asked about that, even contacted PADI to ask about them.

Is it common to call PADI Advanced Open Water cert Open Water Two? The only reference I can find is for the movie, Open Water 2. I would have asked about that, even contacted PADI to ask about them.

Open Water Two was a NAUI Cert prior to 1994-95, somewhere there. It is now called NAUI Advanced

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom