The "S" Word

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet some DIR insiders are watching this thread (as many before them in the same tone) and are laughing their heads off..........

To me its all about respect and human relations. Just because someone (even if this someone is a VERY good diver) says something, it does not mean to take it on. Iit is still up to the individual to assess where this fits in their world and how they will apply this. People who blindly follow others, who take over attitudes of others without making it their own first are basically suffering from the Lemming syndrome.

To me there are two types of people (divers): those who think and those who dont. Think before you do and speak.....

MonkSeal:
As it's stated may times in this forum, this is not a place for discussing if DIR is ok or not but a place for sharing DIR solutions. Of course it's your right to have your opinion but with saying....

So then where can the ins/outs of the *supreme* system be discussed if not it in it's own dedicated forum????....which brings up another question, why is the tech forums only limited to the few catagories and will not allow room for other methods....ie: DIMW (doin' it my way)???

Tamas:
So then where can the ins/outs of the *supreme* system be discussed if not it in it's own dedicated forum????....which brings up another question, why is the tech forums only limited to the few catagories and will not allow room for other methods....ie: DIMW (doin' it my way)???
There's no need for being sarcastic. Stickers at forum top clearly describe expected content of forum posts. I believe that your way or any other way can be discussed in general tech forum without entering to specific sub forums.

Tamas:
The answer to the first question is found in the sticky at the top of the forum ... http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=43458

To answer the second question ... that's why we created the Hogarthian forum. You may post any DIMW solutions there, or in the Basic Discussions forum.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why do we have to "call" them anything? Is it mandatory to put a label on every diver we come into contact with. If he/she is an unsafe diver; wannabe DIR; phoney; etc; etc; etc; just stay away from them. I don't think you have to label them with some secrative name. I always thought divers to be helpful and supportive to new people, maybe I was wrong.

I never considered myself "DIR" and I never cared for the term stroke but lately out of total frustration I find myself having a strong urge to use the word.

An example...recently, in response to a question about finning techniques other than a flutter kick (which is often the only kick taught in entry level courses and the only one required by training standfards), I discusses some other kicks, their uses and some situations where a flutter isn't the best. I also tied that in with trim because no finning technique works well with the head up (or head down) trim we so often see. One poster responded, more or less, accusing me of "scuba ilitism" (preaching only one right way). I thought that funny since it isn't me teaching only one kick and leaving students knowing nothing about trim to go about head up, fins in the silt and negatively buoyant to avoid pushing themselves to the surface if when they kick (because of the head up trim).

gosh, I'm sorry but when you give useful information that ADDS to the divers choices and hand them options that can only improve their diving, increase their understanding and hence their enjoyment of diving and help them solve problems that so many divers strugle needlessly with from day one...and then some one calls you an "elitist", I get MONSTER urge to use the term stroke. Face it, divers wouldn't be asking such questions on a forum if they were really given any choices by the "non-ilitists" who trained them. Who is it pushing only one right way? Oh, they say "do as you like, it's all good" but they only teach one way and they teach that in such an incomplete fashion as to give the diver only one incomplete choice and a lame one at that. If that's not, to use a GI phrase, "abject strokery" (both the diving they push and the accusations they throw around) than nothing is and we need a new definition for "stroke" or a new word to describe it. This term "scuba elitist" is every bit the sharp put down as the term "stroke" is yet the folks who whine about one term toss around the other like their using it to save the world or something. Now, I suppose that being called a name like "scuba elitist" or having honest information refered to as "scuba elitism" by folks who don't have a technical arguement (other than they don't understand the arguement in the first place) doesn't justify responding to such idiotic name calling (that's what it is) with more name calling. My mother always said that if you don't have anything nice to say that you shouldn't say anything and two wrongs don't make a right. So...lets be polite and not call strokes, strokes. I'll try it my mothers way and just ignore them in the hopes that their mothers some day teach them the same lesson.

End of rant.

Little scenario here.

We are sitting around watching the football game. We have a few beers and run out. I suggest a quick beer run and you agree. We hop into my car, and I jam down to the store, cut off 3 cars, almost hit a pedestrian and sidescrape a van in the parking lot. You are polite so you don't say anything.

Next weekend same scenario, but I ask another buddy to go with me. What do you say?

Mark

I ask your daughter to go with me.

Hooked-Again:
" Be sure to wear your seat belt" :D

mweitz:
Little scenario here.

We are sitting around watching the football game. We have a few beers and run out. I suggest a quick beer run and you agree. We hop into my car, and I jam down to the store, cut off 3 cars, almost hit a pedestrian and sidescrape a van in the parking lot. You are polite so you don't say anything.

Next weekend same scenario, but I ask another buddy to go with me. What do you say?

Mark
Um ... "Thank goodness !!!"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom