The Philosophy of Diver Training

Initial Diver Training

• Divers should be trained to be dependent on a DM/Instructor

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Divers should be trained to dive independently.

Votes: 79 96.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

be·lit·tle
tr.v. be·lit·tled, be·lit·tling, be·lit·tles

To represent or speak of as contemptibly small or unimportant.

King, I don't think anyone is belittling PADI. They are the biggest diving certification agency in the world; only a fool would try to make less of their accomplishments.

We can acknowledge PADI and WalMart without agreeing with their business practices. Being the largest doesn't mean they take the moral high-ground, or provide the best product.

A poor phrasing. Belittling PADI's standards would, I believe, be contending that they are contemptibly small, if one accepts small to include insufficient.

Its good to see that the grammar nerds are alive and well. The bad instructors didn't kill them off while diving.

Sorry, but that's a whole lot of words without any support. New words turn up and old words change their meaning, but I can't find any support, in any dictionary (I've only checked five) to back up your view.

Its good to see that the grammar nerds are alive and well. The bad instructors didn't kill them off while diving.

:rofl3:

Guilty! :dork2:

As a mitigating factor, I did study semiotics and philosophy. I'm a sick, sick person in some ways :idk:

Sorry, but that's a whole lot of words without any support. New words turn up and old words change their meaning, but I can't find any support, in any dictionary (I've only checked five) to back up your view.

Now we're way afield of the topic, but as a reference, Socrates considered it hypocrisy to not drink the hemlock. Precisely because he considered it hypocritical to fail to align his actions with his beliefs.

Not to bring religion to the topic, but to present a basis for a normative historical christian concept of hypocrisy, consider Luke 13:15b "The Lord then answered him, and said, thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering?"

If you look in Wittgenstein's work "Love," you'll find hypocrisy is clearly defined as not living up to one's ideals.

A famous Islam Hadith on the topic states that hypocrisy is when someone does something against morality.

I could go on and on, but the point is that from a perspective of semasiology, within the confines of moral philosophy, the concept of action is inherent in the usage and has been for a very long time.

And if a mod doesn't delete this entire sub-discussion I'm going to be really surprised :)

This thread has made me consider seeking out my instructor certification from a different agency.

FIMB, your statement has made this entire thread worthwhile! If more instructor candidates were as discerning, many divers would be better served.

Have you guys checked out GUE's recreational manual yet? Quite impressive IMO. 600-700 pages I would guess...

I have read through it. Impressive indeed. There are a few things I have issue with because of cost. But perhaps it is just because I was not trained by them.

I have read through it. Impressive indeed. There are a few things I have issue with because of cost. But perhaps it is just because I was not trained by them.

I wasn't aware this was out there. Just went and bought it. I'm interested to see what they have to say.

I have told my wife about this thread, she is not a diver, but the use of educational philosophy ( we both studied), outdoor experiential education (I studied), and semantics/ grammar/ philosophy (she studied) is right up her alley. She is always getting on to me (rightly so) to be specific with my words and back those same words with action.

FIMB, your statement has made this entire thread worthwhile! If more instructor candidates were as discerning, many divers would be better served.
I hope to explore as many options as possible. Though I enjoy the training I am receiving through TDI, SDI's OW through Rescue could be more inclusive from a skill and knowledge standpoint.

I can honestly say that I look up to those of you questioning the standard and pushing to make diver's safer (regardless of agency). This is, for now, within the limited discretion of the instructor. Ladies and Gentlemen, I applaud you.:clapping:

-Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom