The Perfect Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps if you stated:

I want to dive in 65 degree F (avg. temp water) with good visibility and like a over compensated regulator, as regards to BC, exposure suit and reg, what would be the perfect set?

Without specifying your conditions no one can truely even offer an opinion.

Mike

As one poster stated, the perfect set for a male tech diver is not the same perfect set as for a 14 year old girl on vacation diving.

Also, you have to consider brands. Some people like certain brands because that's "what they learned" from their LDS or their dive buddies. They aren't going to change. It's like Rednecks and pickup trucks. Some are die-hard Ford fans, and others like Chevy or Dodge for example. Chances are you won't be able to change their minds.

Diver0001:
The perfect set will depend on the diver.

A strong male tek diver making big cold water wreck dives might need a different kind of set than a 14 year old girl on her first diving vacatoin to the Red Sea.

I know what works for me but there's absolutely no gaurantee that it will work for someone else.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for. If you're looking for gear for yourself, maybe post a little something about yourself, your goals and your diving so we have a target to shoot at.

R..

I agree with Rob. Need more info.

I think you all have to chill out. The question was not all that hard. The brand and degree of application was not the question in it's safe. But the object is the same.
As you grow in the sport you well need more and deferent equipment. But The basic dive set up for the average diver has not changed that much. As most divers do not go Tek, Deep water, advanced nitrox or Evey Rec. dive Master. Trends have shown that 50% never go past or need to go past OW 33% or 1 third go AOW. Depending where you live is the answer to th water [ Cold or not, fresh or salt]. So the answer is not that hard.
Each diver well up grade as time and need changes. You don't need to ask at the LDS you look at the other divers where you are diving. See weight they are using as far as wet suits and dry suits. Then fined a fit and brand you like and get it. Fines, mask, hood, gloves, boots, snorkel, safety sage, Wiesel, knife and shear. real and light.
Regs, tanks, bcd, dive computer. [ you need to be able to reach the max bottom time allowed and make a safe stop too.] If you can do this you are there. You have all you need. The next level well cast more! [Training and equipment].
This is my opinion and that in its self in worth 2 cent.

Personally I'm not a big fan of american vehicle brands so that counts out Ford, Chevy, AND Dodge. I prefer something European, or perhaps Japanese... :wink:

The Perfect set for me is: An Oceanic Chute 3 BC, an Atomic T2, and SS1, Oceanic Vortex V12 fins, an OceanMaster mask and an Oceanic Atom 2 Computer (the computer is backordered) so for right now I am using my Uwatec.

Becky

Is this what you had in mind when you started your thread?

Haha wow, a lot of criticism for this.
Well let me adjust the question to everyone's understanding:
What is YOUR most favorable set, for your most commen dive? Just explain a little about yourself, and the diving you'd do with it.

I'm sorry for not realizing how dumb of a question that was :D

Now lets see where this goes.

My favorite is a tropical Xpedition Xcel tridensity (.5,1.0,1.5) in 80 degree water off a tropical island somewhere using a sherwood first stage, a brute second and a dual on my bc instead of an octo. I use a Mares Lirica Mask but am looking at a self-purge. I dive my old calypso BCD but would probably upgrade if given half a chance. I use velocity full foot fins when going tropical.

In colder water I dive the same reg/mask but switch to a 7mm sharkskin titanium semi-dry with full 5mm boots, gloves and hood and strap on fins (Seaquest Thrusters) (but they feel like boards,so I am looking to go with a split fin).

Mike

My favorite is a tropical Xpedition Xcel tridensity (.5,1.0,1.5) in 80 degree water off a tropical island somewhere using a sherwood first stage, a brute second and a dual on my bc instead of an octo. I use a Mares Lirica Mask but am looking at a self-purge. I dive my old calypso BCD but would probably upgrade if given half a chance. I use velocity full foot fins when going tropical.

In colder water I dive the same reg/mask but switch to a 7mm sharkskin titanium semi-dry with full 5mm boots, gloves and hood and strap on fins (Seaquest Thrusters) (but they feel like boards,so I am looking to go with a split fin).

Mike

See this is the kind of response I'm looking for.
Now we might get somewhere!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom