The Perfect instructor.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many times when I see very bad divers on their semi-annual vacation dives I try to keep an open mind on whether that person loosely described as a diver is really a reflection of the instructor or more a reflection of a lazy sob who did as much/little as necessary to get his or her instructor to issue the cert, and from that point on really isn't worried about the reef or other divers or anything other than going home and BOASTING "I dove Molokini, the Cathedrals and the Carthaginian; ain't I da wo/man!"

I do not doubt there are bad divers out there with my name on the card, but I made them dive better when they were in class than they dive now! Much of the issue we see away from the class boils down to lazy &/or bad people, not so much bad instructors, IMHO.

I do not doubt there are bad divers out there with my name on the card, but I made them dive better when they were in class than they dive now! Much of the issue we see away from the class boils down to lazy &/or bad people, not so much bad instructors, IMHO.

No doubt over time skills can get rusty, some even forgotten. The divers I'm referring to are newly certified. If they don't have demonstrable skill-sets, you can't blame the Student. The Instructor issues the card.

OK stop bashing the newbies and the lack of standards, what do you do to be the perfect instructor?
As others have said, there are no perfect instructors. There are simply too many variables involved, and even the best of instructors will make mistakes occasionally, or will be incompatible with some students. We can strive for perfection, but no one ever really achieves it. I don't strive for perfection ... I strive for competence, both for my students and for myself.

what do you make sure you emphasize to ensure you graduate safe competent divers that will not destroy the first reef they find? how?
There are two major components to dive instruction ... the skills and the mental approach to diving. They are equally important. Teaching the skills does not necessarily turn out a competent diver if they don't apply those skills in a manner that's appropriate to the circumstances of the dive. As an example, the alpha student who aces all the skills on the checklist but who ignores the rules or is diving beyond his training may be "competent" within the limits of his training, but is far from safe.

So to answer the question, when I teach an OW class I am not just teaching skills, but trying to also impart to my students why those skills are important, and how to apply them in a manner that will help them plan and execute their dives safely.

"Mindset" is an important aspect of dive training that is often overlooked.

what do you keep in mind, and what about the difficult students? how do you handle them?:D
Depends on the circumstances. Some students are difficult because they have difficulty with the mechanics of the skills. As long as they're trying, I'll keep working with them. Some are difficult because their learning style isn't compatible with your teaching style. At the recreational level, this is pretty rare but the one or two times I felt the student could benefit from a different instructor I discussed it with them and recommended them to someone I felt they could "hear" better than me. And on occasion I've run into students who feel that because they paid for a class they're entitled to a certification regardless of how much effort they put into a class. I don't have a whole lot of patience for these students. Most times a private discussion about expectations is enough to clarifiy what they'll need to do in order to earn their certification. If that doesn't work ... and it only has once in my experience ... I will refund the student's money and tell them they need to get their c-card from someone else.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow, great thread. I would love to be sitting around a table with you people where we could discuss this face to face and talk for a while.

I agree with a lot of what is being said here. I find it interesting and correct that there are no perfect instructors. I think there are those who continue to learn and evaluate themselves so they can become better, and those that become static and do not continue to improve.

I like Bob's statement about the mental side of diving because I also agree with that 110%

No doubt over time skills can get rusty, some even forgotten. The divers I'm referring to are newly certified. If they don't have demonstrable skill-sets, you can't blame the Student. The Instructor issues the card.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one DCBC. I have seen students, in classes that I wasn't involved with, perform skills, bouyancy, drills extrememly well. Their first openwater dives, they were complete disasters. When I talked to them later about it, they told me, and I quote," I thought that crap was just what we had to learn for class. I didn't know we'd really need to know it after we got certified".

So while a newbies poor performance is more than likely a reflection on the instructor. Sometimes they just don't care once they have their card. No matter what you stress or how hard you stress it. Once you sign off, the diver is own to perform however they want.

I'll guarantee you that I'll never be anywhere close to perfect. I'll consider myself perfect enough if I turn out a diver that I will trust to take my grandson as a dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom