The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zipsy is trying to hijack this thread!

rjens...tell ya what...here's a fun little "home simulation" test for you.

Go and workout really hard...like 80%+ max heartrate for about 3 minutes. Now...grab a stopwatch. Hold your breath and keep working out. How long were you able to hold your breath?

Hmm...seems an elevated heartrate and breathing have a somewhat detrimental effect on the ability to hold one's breath. I wonder if fear and panic might have a similar effect while one is calmly determining how many feet to ascend while slowly breathing out.

Zippsy:
Spare air? Out of air scenarios?? Consumption rates??? You just couldn't leave a decent thread alone, could you? Some people are born to argue. Thanks.

Zippsy, This has been a great thread, I apologize for continuing the hijack.

bwerb:
rjens...tell ya what...here's a fun little "home simulation" test for you.

Go and workout really hard...like 80%+ max heartrate for about 3 minutes. Now...grab a stopwatch. Hold your breath and keep working out. How long were you able to hold your breath?

Hmm...seems an elevated heartrate and breathing have a somewhat detrimental effect on the ability to hold one's breath. I wonder if fear and panic might have a similar effect while one is calmly determining how many feet to ascend while slowly breathing out.

You are missing one very vital point to this test. You did not realize that you were out of air until you exhaled and tried to inhale!!

We did this test one day during a class, about 12 years ago, and I still use this test today. Exercise moderatly for 1-2 minutes then EXHALE and hold your breath. I will guess that most everyone will time-out at about 15-30 seconds depending on physical condition and self control.

As for the pony...I was taught to have a pony bottle no smaller than 1/3 the size of the expected gas used during the dive. My pony bottles start at 30cuft.

I was also taught that a set of double 80s should be thought of as an 80 and an 80 pony, mounted together with isolator valves for safty. Returning back at the boat with 1/3 the total gas left in the tanks was the MINIMUM gas that I was allowed in the tanks.

All this talk of Air2's and OOA situations is giving me a headache.

What was the original question of this thread anyway???

now then you are in a bar with about one third of your drink remaining, there are still 30 minutes until closing time and the beer has run out. Should you
A) be buying double rounds so you have a spare beer to drink down. Should they be manifolded rounds or would you drink a thrird of one and then switch to the second beer
B) Go on shorts, but the question is how big a short (single or double) will you need to get to closing time.
c) Should you have brought your own sparebeer with you (probably not as from what i've read so far the spare beer option as it is not even going to get you back from the toilets to your original beer should you suffer an out of beer during a rest break).

Albion:
now then you are in a bar with about one third of your drink remaining, there are still 30 minutes until closing time and the beer has run out. Should you
A) be buying double rounds so you have a spare beer to drink down. Should they be manifolded rounds or would you drink a thrird of one and then switch to the second beer
B) Go on shorts, but the question is how big a short (single or double) will you need to get to closing time.
c) Should you have brought your own sparebeer with you (probably not as from what i've read so far the spare beer option as it is not even going to get you back from the toilets to your original beer should you suffer an out of beer during a rest break).

All depends if I am driving, or do I have a cab waiting?? LOL

I just re-read what you wrote and I'm now laughing hard enough to get the beer that I am currently drinking all over my shirt. HAHAHA

Forgot to add option D,
Simply exit the bar in a controlled manner, dont forget to Flail yourself if you think you are getting out of control.

And remember despite the pressing effects of alcohol do not try and change buddies mid drinking session

I would continue to consume beer at a SBC (surface beer consumption) rate of approximately one every 20 minutes.

In the event I had an OOB emergency, I would go to my backup beer, conveniently located on a bungee necklace around my neck. I would then signal to my buddy, who would either signal the bartender for more beer, or deploy an extra long straw and allow me to drink from his beer until we managed to leave the bar safely.

Albion:
Forgot to add option D,
Simply exit the bar in a controlled manner, dont forget to Flail yourself if you think you are getting out of control.

And remember despite the pressing effects of alcohol do not try and change buddies mid drinking session

How good looking is the original female buddy. :eyebrow: Also, you need to account for the "beer goggles" so any new buddy has to be at least three times as good looking as the lady that you walked in with!

Come on, guys. You need to keep your EDL (equivalent drunkenness level) at 4 beers no matter what mix you're drinking. If you need to indulge further, you need to use less alcohol in the mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom