The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zippsy,

Sorry for missing your thread, but the basic answer to your question is that everything will always depend on your specific and unique needs and what benefit you'll get out of it. If the cost:benefit ratio isn't good enough for you, then you should have absolutely no guilt for not buying the product/service.

And while it very well may be true that a fresh OW-I graduate isn't a great diver and would get the greatest benefit out of additional training, this is a bit of a lame excuse because we're not all OW-I novices: we're all at different levels within our diving skill sets, and with different performance needs because we're not all going out to join the WKPP exploration team...and this is where the concept of one-size-fits-all has to take a hit.

When it comes to me personally with DIR, I've been diving for long enough to know very well what my diving environment is, what its risk level is, and what my performance levels are. As such, I can assess what, if any, performance gain would result from what, and if it would result in a more enjoyable dive, or an incrementally safer dive. IMO, for my situations, they will not be all that great, so as such, its a high cost with low benefit, or not a particularly good value for me personally.

FWIW, there are also a very significant cultural attitude that I also see often with my work, and there, it sends up serious warning flags. It doesn't mean that I'll adamately refuse all of their claims and ideas, but what it does mean is that I will only trust that which I've independently evaluated and verified its actual value and relevance to my needs...and in this regards, I treat DIR no differently than PADI or any other entity.

-hh

Capt Jim Wyatt:
I have been teaching diving for 30 years, at the age of 18 I became an instructor. Been a diver since I was 12.

I just don't need dudes who have been around 3 or 4 years telling me how to dive.
padiscubapro:
IF my info is correct (I trust the source) "JJ" has only been diving since around '92. Not very long for a head of an agency....
Hmm...So I guess that school of though would lead me to decide that this kid can't play hockey because he is too young.

Damn. He's the number two scorer in the league but you're right. I have nothing to learn from the upstart punk!

Awesome approach.

d33ps1x:
Hmm...So I guess that school of though would lead me to decide that this kid can't play hockey because he is too young.

Damn. He's the number two scorer in the league but you're right. I have nothing to learn from the upstart punk!

Awesome approach.

Well, with due respect to the differences between a professional sport ... where one's top performance is based on speed and athleticism ... and a recreational activity ... where judgement and experience can keep you "growing" for decades ... perhaps it would be more accurate to say the "school of thought" would be analogous to that kid sauntering up to Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretsky and telling them why they were doing it wrong for all those years ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, with due respect to the differences between a professional sport ... where one's top performance is based on speed and athleticism ... and a recreational activity ... where judgement and experience can keep you "growing" for decades ... perhaps it would be more accurate to say the "school of thought" would be analogous to that kid sauntering up to Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretsky and telling them why they were doing it wrong for all those years ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My point was that choosing not allow yourself to learn from someone based on age alone seems a bit narrow minded. I'm not exactly a teenager (far from it) but I'm quite willing to learn from one if they have something to show me. They regularily do.

Humanity's proliferation and success has been largely based on it's ability to change, adapt and improve. There is billions of years worth of evidence as to what happens to species that have chosen not to do so.

Take that macro example and apply it on a micro level. Hopefully you will find it more suitable than a hockey analogy.

Either way is fine at this end. At the end of the day choice is the keyword. I make mine and you make yours.

d33ps1x:

Awesome approach.

Point of order - whilst I agree with your logic to a large extent, and concur that the "I've been diving a long time so I know what I'm doing" rationale is shortsighted at best, Rick Nash is hardly the second leading scorer in the NHL.

Ilya Kovalchuk is, who is only one year older anyway.

MHK:
As promised here is the recommended gear list. Also on the www.wkpp.org George Irvine lists his equipment configuration and I think you'll see that the notion that in order to be DIR you must be completed outfitted in Halcyon is an erroneous assumption.

[list snipped]
If using a computer, a suunto

Wow. I always thought this wasn't allowed. There goes that erroneous assumption.

Marc

Boogie711:
Point of order - whilst I agree with your logic to a large extent, and concur that the "I've been diving a long time so I know what I'm doing" rationale is shortsighted at best, Rick Nash is hardly the second leading scorer in the NHL.

Ilya Kovalchuk is, who is only one year older anyway.

hehe

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/stats?service=page&context=Home

This thread has been hijacked by hockey, which has nothing to do with the original topic of beer and CPR dog maniquins!

Back
Top Bottom