The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndigoBlue:
My divemaster candidate happens to be a student of GUE-DIR. I have been supportive of her desire to become a Halcyon clad divemaster...

Indigo... you appear to having trouble with a basic concept that's been hashed out here, ad nauseum. I want to help, so here's a little hint for you. You may want to repeat to yourself, "you can be DIR without wearing Halcyon."

Repeat it continuously until it sinks in. You'll feel better.

I hope you have a most pleasant day. :)

Boogie is quite correct. It's even becoming fashionable around here to be DIR without any Halcyon gear at all. Oxycheq bp/wings, Apeks regs, Sartek light, DIY stage rigging.

Snowbear:
Oh good! I was getting worried 'cause there are no "H's" in DiveRite :D

You could always take out the blue paint pen and have at your webbing to become DIR(tm). :wink:

jonnythan:
... It's even becoming fashionable around here to be DIR without any Halcyon gear at all. Oxycheq bp/wings, Apeks regs, Sartek light, DIY stage rigging.

My backup lights and my safety sausage are Halcyon, Jonnythan. And I look forward to replacing my Zeagle wing with a Halcyon wing when the current wing wears out. I do not have anything against Halcyon, as you can see. If something is the best, and if it also says Halcyon on it, I will buy and wear it. That is the way I feel about their backup lights, their safety sausages, and their oval wings. They are the best.

I am not fond of their harnesses nor their manifolds. I took a look at them, and I decided against them.

If JJ and his instructors are gravitating away from Halcyon gear, that is news to me, and I will take your word for it.

"Halcyon's" harnesses are not Halcyon's at all. It's 15 feet or so of weight belt webbing and standard keepers and D-rings. And what's wrong with their manifolds?

Also, as I understand it, no GUE instructor will say a word about any gear as long as it's DIR. I doubt if MHK would tell a student wearing a FredT or OMS backplate that the Halcyon plate is better, and if you have personal experience saying otherwise I'd love to hear it.

OneBrightGator:
You have got to be kidding me, first off, no one has the ability to drag me up by my regs,

I just report what I saw while diving Duane. It has NOTHING to do with you.

a quick jerk on the hose and it's free,

IMHO, anyone in the profession such as lifeguard, swim instructor, dive instructor, coastguard... that involve possible drowning victims will be humble and have high respect of the strength of drowning victims to grap on anything as their life depend on it. Especially those that have had experience with saving panic drowning victims before, will know, any kind of quick jerk would not free anything from a panic victim. Please don't take my word for it, go talk to oldtimers in the lifeguard profession...

Spare Air, you have got to be kidding, I'd rather my buddy drag me to the surface from the deck of the Duane then run out of air at 80 ft.

Again, no kidding. I am just sharing real life experience. I have saved 3 lives with spare air. For them, their families, and myself, we were grateful that I had my Spare Air with me.

A diver gets panic when he suck H2O instead of air. A few breath of air from a little Spare Air bottle gave him a Chance to calm don't a little bit a put make the situation a little more manageable. Every little positive improvement in an emergency situation increase the chance of survival.

Sorry, I can't find any way to explain it better for you. It is difficult for you to understand unless you have witness a real life situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom