The Oriskany is in P'cola. (pics included)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
The heck with watching a stinking video!!! Let's ride that sucker down!!!

Like Slim Pickens on the A-bomb (Dr. Strangelove) --- Yeeeeee Haaaawwww !!!!!

the K-amikaze

oh yeah....

i'm so there, dude...

but first, we drink lots of tequila

(finally boys, nuclear combat toe to toe with the Ruskies)

Rick Murchison:
It'll be about as exciting as watching grass grow. Scheduled to take at least eight hours from opening the valves to the sea until she finally slips under. I plan to take plenty of bait and beer :)
If it's still light out I'll try to get video of the last few minutes.
Rick

Be my luck I'd drink one beer too many, doze off and miss it.

the K

stevenq99:
8 hours wow! I would have thought it would be faster. I guess it is a lot of water displacement to overcome.

The 8 hours is a "slow planned sinking" so that they don't flip it like the "experts" did down in Key Largo.

Has there be any mention of the cardinal orientation of the ship?
What I mean, in what direction will be bow be pointing?

The reason I ask is because of the frequency of hurricanes hitting the area and the accompanying wave motion, or does it really matter?

the K

The Kraken:
Has there be any mention of the cardinal orientation of the ship?
What I mean, in what direction will be bow be pointing?

The reason I ask is because of the frequency of hurricanes hitting the area and the accompanying wave motion, or does it really matter?

the K

North-South according to this link from another thread:

http://peoships.crane.navy.mil/reefi...nk Plans.pdf

nope, being towed

Rick Murchison:
It'll be about as exciting as watching grass grow. Scheduled to take at least eight hours from opening the valves to the sea until she finally slips under. I plan to take plenty of bait and beer :)
Rick

Shoot a few minutes periodically throughout the sinking to capture the whole process.

Rick Murchison:
I plan to take plenty of bait and beer :)
Rick

We'll be diving a couple of sites within 3-4 miles of the ship, should still be close enough to get an idea on whats goin on. Then we'll watch her slip under while we slip a few down under too :) Gonna be a good day, on the water at sunrise, get a couple dives in(maybe some fish), watch a huge ship go under while drinking a few back until night. Thursday(18th) will suck in so many ways.

SamDiver14:
So what shop do you guys reccomend for setting up the dives with, or maybe there is a dive boat that you can go to direct?

I think pretty much all the dive shops from Gulf Shores(AL) to Destin(FL) will offer trips out on occasion. I would guess that the shops in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach(AL) and Pensacola will be going out more regularly with their own boats, or whoever they charter through. You could always charter directly of course.

I'll be going out through Underwater Works from Daphne/Fairhope(AL) on their boat. I don't think they will be heading to the Oriskany too often, but I'm assuming they will charter out there every so often.

MBT Divers in Pensacola have been advertising the living crap out of the "Big O". I'm guessing they will dive it more often. Gary's Gulf Diver in Orange Beach seems to be looking forward to her sinking as well. If MBT will dive it often, I'd imagine Dive Pro's will charter a bunch of trips there as well.

You're left with several good options as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom