The oil is coming your way.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw hazmat people this morning while I was driving around... seems like the oil reached pensacola... haven't been to the beach or pickens to confirm though

Saw hazmat people this morning while I was driving around... seems like the oil reached pensacola... haven't been to the beach or pickens to confirm though

It's washing ashore in Daulphin Island, west of Gulf Shores.

Red-brown oil washes ashore at Alabama's Dauphin Island (updated with photos) | al.com

Two media reports I read this morning say it's 9 miles off Pensacola.

Oil slick moves close to Florida beaches - Green House - USATODAY.com

Oil could hit Florida Panhandle by Wednesday

Truely sad, I'd hoped to dive the mighty O this summer. I wish the folks who are trying to make a living down there the best of luck.

See, beyond the damage done and about to be done that will take years to recover from, there is this magic August date where all of a sudden as if by magic it is expected that BP's klutzy efforts to date to stop the well will suddenly start working and the sun will come out and birds will chirp and we will all be happy.

What happen if comes September or November that damn well is still spewing oil in the water and now the magic date is January 2011?

I am a geologist, I sat wells in the Gulf for several years, the "relief well" is a trick itself to achieve, I hope they have three or four underway instead of just one?

You know, if this is the best they can do, no more drilling.

N

See, beyond the damage done and about to be done that will take years to recover from, there is this magic August date where all of a sudden as if by magic it is expected that BP's klutzy efforts to date to stop the well will suddenly start working and the sun will come out and birds will chirp and we will all be happy.

What happen if comes September or November that damn well is still spewing oil in the water and now the magic date is January 2011?

I am a geologist, I sat wells in the Gulf for several years, the "relief well" is a trick itself to achieve, I hope they have three or four underway instead of just one?

N

I think they have two "relief wells" being dug at the same time...

as for how long, this article says it could buntil Christmas....

BP Oil Leak May Last Until Christmas in Worst Case Scenario - Bloomberg.com

Maybe this will help spur a transition away from fossil fuels. That is really the only thing positive that I know of to come of this. It is 2010, so maybe the deep pockets of the mighty oil industry will be overpowered with people that are fed up with all this. Then again, their pockets are pretty deep.

Maybe this will help spur a transition away from fossil fuels. That is really the only thing positive that I know of to come of this. It is 2010, so maybe the deep pockets of the mighty oil industry will be overpowered with people that are fed up with all this. Then again, their pockets are pretty deep.

Only if it hits the East Coast or California. Florida can only do so much, and nobody gives a crap about Alabama, Mississippi or Louisiana.

N

...or maybe the disaster will get the Gulf area to be declared a 'national sacrifice zone' that will then attract even more drilling, as if that area is already destroyed, why not just go ahead and drill the crap out of that area, and shut down offshore rigs in other parts of the country to preserve the other areas that haven't yet had an accident and keep them pristine ? The Gulf coast can 'take one for the team' !

.....also, remember, the Russians are about to start producing oil off the Cuban coast, and Russia has an industrial safety record even worse than BP! ...so one could say, the Gulf is pretty much screwed regardless !

.....they're predicting a VERY bad 2010 hurricane season too, so it will be interesting to see BP cleanup and repair teams coping with timetables on repairs then, given how worthless their efforts to date have been with zero hurricane problems to date!

N

I completely agree. Every time they start a new effort, they give a cool name like "top kill" and predict it has a 70% chance of working. Then they fall flat on their face. Heck, the NY Times is reporting that some scientists think that using a nuclear blast would be the best option. :confused:

What amazes me, is that there hasn't been a contingency plan from day 1. Obviously, deep ocean drilling is outside of our current expertise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom