The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi peeps,

With the 2010 FIFA world cup only 8 days away I'm a bit surprised with how little discussion there's been on SB so I figured it's probably just because there's no official discussion thread for it yet:D

Anyways, let's hear your thoughts. Who'll be following it? Who'll be supporting which teams? etc.

Personally I'm very excited. I'll be attending four of the games and, as with all the previous World Cups that I can remember watching, I'll be rooting for Brazil again. Well, naturally I'll be supporting our local Bafana Bafana but, realistically, I'm not expecting them to go all the way:wink:

South Africa is abuzz with excitement.

I get the impression that the majority of this board are from the States, and football is really a minority sport over there. Except David Beckham.

Anyway, I'm from England so I hope we do well. Unlike everybody who reads the tabloids over here, I'd be delighted if we could make the final. I'd consider reaching the semi-finals a good tournament actually. It's very quiet about Brazil over here, I think many have written them off and I think it'd be fair to say they have a weak side compared to other world cups. Ronaldinho is still class, but must be pushing 40 by now! Robinho was absolutely terrible in the EPL and although the world cup will give him the freedom of a more comfortable style of football, I fully expect him to fail miserably. Kaka is also comfortably on the wrong side of thirty but must still be considered one of the most dangerous players in the tournament. Germany have also been practically written off over here which is ridiculous when they have players like Phillip Lahm, Miroslav Klose and Podolski in the side. The home-nations always seem to play above themselves in the world cup so I'll nail my colours to the mast and back South Africa to the quarter-finals. Tough group stage for them though!

Personally, I'll be backing Argentina (Tevez, Messi, Milito - scary!) or Spain (as I did for Euro 2008 - honest!) to win, with England and Germany as outsiders.

I'm looking forward to seeing us play the USA... perhaps we can get some banter in here for that one! After the group stages I'll be diving Cocos Island for two weeks, so I won't care!!

Yeah I'm afraid but Brazil is not in their best form ever. They are known to pull a rabbit out of the hat at the most unexpected times though. Should be interesting to see what they do this year.

The home-nations always seem to play above themselves in the world cup so I'll nail my colours to the mast and back South Africa to the quarter-finals.
:shocked2: Serious? I wouldn't put any money on that. I'm probably very pessimistic but I think we'll be doing well if we get through the groups stage.

Well I hope Australia do as well as they did in Germany, it has done amazing things to raise the profile of the sport here and more success will keep the ball rolling.

I think it is going to be a mammoth task this year with our first game against Germany even with Ballack out.

Well I usually go for underdogs, which means I rarely barrack for Australia... unless it is the World Cup. They were awesome at the last world cup. :) I also go for Ireland if they are playing.

Pretty much I am happy for anyone to win but France... Ireland was ROBBED :shakehead:

The World Cup is about the only sporting event I like so I'll be watching it a lot. Trying to borrow a TV at the moment to set it up at home to watch!

Deefstes, I am immensely jealous you are going to some games!

A striker at my favourite club plays for New Zealand...Rory Fallon. So you Aussies will get no backing from me!

Actually, didn't somebody from your side claim they expected to knock England out at the quarters?

Incidentally, I entered into a sweepstake at work yesterday and drew Honduras and Brazil.

I can't wait for the world cup to start. I'm hoping that there
Will be some good coverage of the matches here, Versus is
Probably the only channel, along with the Fox soccer channel
that will provide any coverage.
I used to live/work in Germany, oh how I miss Eurosport.
They have the best commentators for sports and the best coverage.

I'm counting down to the 11th!

Take care,
-Mitch

Hi peeps,

With the 2010 FIFA world cup only 8 days away I'm a bit surprised with how little discussion there's been on SB so I figured it's probably just because there's no official discussion thread for it yet:D

Anyways, let's hear your thoughts. Who'll be following it? Who'll be supporting which teams? etc.

Personally I'm very excited. I'll be attending four of the games and, as with all the previous World Cups that I can remember watching, I'll be rooting for Brazil again. Well, naturally I'll be supporting our local Bafana Bafana but, realistically, I'm not expecting them to go all the way:wink:

South Africa is abuzz with excitement.

I'll be following it. I'm "required" by my wife and kids to pull for the Dutch team, at least initially. Here are my predictions:

1) The Dutch team will probably win their pool and Cameroon will go through too.

2) They'll *probably* win their first playoff match and then be beaten by Spain in the quarter final. In any case the Dutch have no hope at all of getting to the final becaue I think they'll have to play Brazil if they beat Spain. Both of those matches are unwinnable the way the Dutch team has been playing.

3) Once the Dutch team is out I'll be pulling for Portugal. Brazil is a likely favorite but Portugal is on a roll and will get beatable cuts after the pool games if they take 2nd place in their pool, which I think they will.... Therefore, I expect a final between Portugal and Brazil and I'm betting Portugal to win.

I'm calling England and Argentina for the outsiders in the semi final and, Deefstes, I'm sorry, but I don't see South Africa getting through their pool.

R..

Is anyone planning on playing the fantasy football on FIFA's webpage? I've created a league called "Scubaboard" so feel free to join.

Go to McDonald's FIFA World Cup Fantasy to create your team and then you can join the league by entering the following code:
156636-90489

Back
Top Bottom