TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - May 8-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Chamber Day 2022, the Scuba Show, and more
(please scroll down for details)
I realize I always SAY "This one will be short" and then it isn't - brevity not being my strong suit - but I'm going to try to make this one relatively short for a host of reasons . . .

HOPE MOTHER'S DAY TREATED YOU WELL - Either with your mom, remembering your mom, maybe you're a new mom, whatever the reason, hopefully it was a good day.

CHAMBER DAY RESULTS ARE IN - $176,144 in case you haven't heard, a new record. Absolutely blew us away and exceeded our wildest expectations. Thank you for your generosity. We will leave the Dutchman and the Chamber Challenge open through May 15 for anyone who wants to make a late donation (www.chamberday.org). For the first time ever, we live-streamed the event and if you'd like to catch some or all of the hour-long program, you can do so through this YouTube link: CHAMBER EVE 2022 LIVE-STREAM. Here's the "official" shot of Karl and myself with the big check:​
mail
ZOOM SEEKERS IS THIS TUESDAY - It's going to be an interesting and unusual one I think. Our speakers are going to be Mark Gibello & Vernon Brock from XS Scuba, a privately-held company, that was started in 2002, and which has grown to become a full-line supplier of diving and snorkeling products. They'll be giving you insight into the world of diving from the viewpoint of a manufacturer. This is especially significant given that the Scuba Show is this coming weekend. XS Scuba is the largest supplier of scuba cylinders and Thermo valves in the world. All of their products are targeted for professional and recreational divers. The offering is quite extensive and their tag line is “Everything for the Perfect Dive”. Many of the products are unique. XS Scuba does not offer trinkets or knick-knacks - so no t-shirts, stickers, key rings, etc. - but rather products that are useful to helping scuba divers and snorkelers enjoy our sport safely. We'll start at 7:30PM and will have a Q&A following their talk. Here's the link. Hope you will join us:​

SPEAKING OF THE SCUBA SHOW . . . - It's this coming Saturday/Sunday at the Long Beach Convention Center. It's the largest consumer-oriented scuba show west of the Mississippi. There will plenty of manufacturers there, travel providers, dive shops selling gear from their booths, and some non-profits (NGOs) as well. The entire focus is diving. The show attracts about 10,000 people over the course of the weekend. There are also seminars both days. I'll be giving two talks on Saturday. The first is "The World's Largest Fish in Your Face" which is about diving with Whale Sharks at Isla Mujeres off of Cancun. That's at 11AM on Saturday. Then at 4PM, also on Saturday, I'll team up with Coroner Capt. John Kades and Chamber Director Karl Huggins for our annual "Why Divers Die" seminar, which reviews the actual fatalities we dealt with the previous year here in L.A. County. (There are four that we'll present.) You'll get the Coroner perspective, find out what the Chamber did, and I'll give an instructional/educational analysis. And on Sunday, I won't be the presenter but will be attending an 11AM seminar on the MPA Decadal Review process being given by the Department of Fish & Wildlife. (I'm on one of the advisory committees.) This one's a good chance to find out how you can have input into the overall process and make your voice heard. So there's a lot of stuff happening both days in Long Beach and I'll hope to see you there.

Look! I'm keeping my word!! It's short!!!

That'll do it for now. Have a great week, hope to see you this weekend, and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

Back
Top Bottom