The New Scuba Wagon... 2016 350 Transit XLT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

be careful with that cooler because they can generate a LOT of heat coming out the back and while the refrigerant certainly helps, it's not something you're going to want to run on battery power for very long....

I promised I wouldn't divulge who it was or what LEO organization he was with since what he did was against their rules. It was still kind of funny.
Well if you're going to get pulled over, that's the way I'd prefer! Good looking ride, and yes, it'll garner attention - i'll venture that's not going to be your last run in with the 'fuzz'. lol

That sure is one nice way to get pulled over :D I'm sure he was a member of the forum and couldn't help but stop you!

The van is a good way to promote the board here and I compliment you on doing it and making it look sweet.

and most importantly: Toilet paper and a couple little shovels. :D :D :D

An odd first post (mine) for a SCUBA board but as a Leave No Trace instructor, I appreciate the shovels.

This was a great thread BTW.

An odd first post (mine) for a SCUBA board but as a Leave No Trace instructor, I appreciate the shovels.
I taught it for the BSA. Take only pictures: leave only bubbles. :D

Pete,

We saw you truck today at Public's parking lot today. Way cool .....

I found it pretty interesting to follow your progress of its construction half way around the world in the Marshall Islands than just happen upon it while diving in Key Largo on vacation.

Michael

You just can't miss it now! I've had people stop at the restaurant I was eating at, stop me at dive sites, find me in the ocean and more. I am anything but anonymous! :D :D :D The funniest one was at the recent Venice Beach, Fl Toothin dive. A lady came up and asked if I rented ScubaBoards. Say wha??? I asked her if she meant Paddle Boards and that's exactly what she was referring to. Last night we went to the Whistlestop in Islamorada and was approached by a long ago poster as we were shooting pool. Fun! I bought him and his lovely date a round.

Chairman'
From way back in my files I discovered this never published article about my Baja dive vehicles and a Baja prepared travel trailer that could and did go any where and every where we could jerk it with a 4 X 4 truck

My interest for many years was exploring the unexplored and diving the in dove of Baja California in Mexico. This romance began in December 1951 when I made my first trip to the end of the paved road which was at a Cantina called Hussong's.

After the unpleasantness called a police action in Korea I acquired a WW 11 surplus 1942 Dodge 1/2 ton4X4 which was dedicated for use in Baja. It was highly modified; a bed frame was welded to the top as a carrier, Surplus Jerry cans were mounted on rear door and front fenders, the seats were from a civilian automobile. I (we) used this for about 5 years making trails in northern Baja where there were no trails.

My traveling buddy, Joe Mc Cabe had a WW 11 surplus 1943 Dodge 3/4 ton 4X4 which was also modified for Baja travel but had a Rix compressor installed to fill SCUBA tanks.
Joe lost his life on June 4,1960 at 200 plus feet when the tribe was recovering a huge anchor at Catalina.

After that tragedy the tribe fell apart.

Marriage and children required a certain amount of creature comfort so I acquired a 1960 VW Kombi which under went numerous modifications over its 20 year life. A full VW top rack, a bike rack in front and a Jerry can rack in back, wheel well cut outs plus many many mods to the interior to satisfy the needs of the growing family. Never the less we somehow managed to still explore the unexplored and dive the in dove of Baja California in Mexico.

We became stuck on two memorable occasions. First time in salt water marsh land in San Quintin (san Ka-teen) in Baha and the second time exploring the WW11 gun emplacements near San Pedro California,

We had a dry spell while our five children were in school, college, university, grad school, doctorates, post docs, fellowships.....finally time and money to spend.

Then off to the wilds a sleeping bag in the dirt, a sleeping bag in the van, a sleeping bag in the pickup. finally a small 13 foot "Roust a bout trailer." It was one of the 1960-70s trailers which were over built with nothing but the top of the line components therefore over built and
overpriced consequently didn't sell well.

First mod was to seal the joints of the trailer with caulking and spray generous amounts of undercoating on all the joint areas.

The tires needed replacement so 3 size over size tires, requiring the wheel wells to be cut out and rubber lashes be installed.

Then the 3 leaf springs broke, so replaced in Mexico with 6 leaf high arch springs. After 10 years of hard usage they broke, so replaced the entire spring system with all new components which were tac welded in place.

The interior items such as the toilet, the water system were replaced by marine grade items, the lighting was converted to florescent 6-12 volt and 3-110 (just in case)all the lighting was also supplemented by three solar panels.

The single propane tank was replaced by two tanks and the single battery system was replaced by a dual battery system High above the back bumper I welded a mesh rack two feet by ten feet which held a jack, Jerry cans for water and gasoline, supplies etc etc etc...

This trailer went were ever our 4X4 wanted to pull it..on the concrete or w
here the concrete ends. It would not be economical feasible for a US manufacture to market an off road trailer, there is just no market for one. The US has insidiously become a nation of RV parks and concrete. Which we have reluctantly joined , but all those golden memories of past adventures

Enjoy your wagon as we did ours

Sam Miller, 111

Wonderful story of adventuring Sam Miller !
My Uncle Art Willis spent many decades recovering downed aircraft in Baja CA, I wonder if you ever crossed paths?

. . . but all those golden memories of past adventures

Though I no longer live out there, one of my favorite books on the outdoors, The Baja Adventure Book, gave a glimpse into what it was like to travel, camp, fish, dive, etc., in Baja before they completed paving the Transpeninsular Hwy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom