The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a nice plate.

My question is does the benefit of the curving the plate away from the body justify the higher labor hours (and cost) needed? I am not sure what price you are looking at but people seem to be hesitant to spend over $200 on a plate.

Maybe you should bring back the last version of the Freedom plate and keep the current version as a custom plate. You could even stencil or engrave the owners name in the plate.

I would not give up something that is already working well either. You have to hand make every one of these new plates anyway so why not customize them to the individual end user? It will not take more work on your part and they will feel like they are getting more for their money.

Eric,

I have Googled the images, and have seen pictures of a couple of different versions.
What do your current plates look like? Do you have a link to current images?

I like them very much, and would like to buy one.

Thanks,
Mitch

Eric,

I have Googled the images, and have seen pictures of a couple of different versions.
What do your current plates look like? Do you have a link to current images?

I like them very much, and would like to buy one.

Thanks,
Mitch
Here are some pics of the Contours.
You can see the relationship between the small and large.
The rails on the back are 5/16" rod. I had to come up with some sort of system because the plate is so custom shaped and formed that there was no way to marry a tank to the plate without some sort of straight edges to mount the tank to, so this is the result. So far it's working the best out of all the designs I've tried.
You have to use a wing with slots. There is no STA and no way to put one on. This is an entirely different idea. The wing just sits snug between the tank and plate. When you get everything lined up where you want it you snap down the cams and the whole unit is held together by the tension of the bands.
The edges of the new Contours you can see are all radiused so there are no edges to dig in anywhere around the plate.
The material is all 316 throughout. I figured it was better for the DM's and commercial guys that work out on the sea day in day out. Plates out there never get rinsed.
You can PM me here for details, and to order PM me here and I'll direct you to another email address to do the transaction.

Thanks Mitch,

Eric

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 296
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 301
I would not give up something that is already working well either. You have to hand make every one of these new plates anyway so why not customize them to the individual end user? It will not take more work on your part and they will feel like they are getting more for their money.
I made a few standard (non contoured) models and they sat on a shelf, nobody wanted them. People would rather spend the extra $50 for the Contoured version.
Surprised the crap out of me! I guess it's not all about price if people know they might be missing out on something better.
So I left all the standard models with my Buddy down south and he's going to try and place them with divers in the LA diving scene.
I decided from here on out I'm not going to bother with making any standard models, waste of time.
Contours are where it's at.

Just a heads up.
I'm sold out of small contours except one that's on reserve.
I have one small non-contoured model (standard) that I will discount to $100 plus shipping to get rid of it.
I only have three large size Contours left.
If you have been thinking of getting one or are on the fence it's time to make a decision because when they're gone their gone.
It's going to be a while before I make another run.

Thanks

Eric

Eric, I am thinking about buying the small non-contoured model for my wife (will be used with a DSS wing). I am not sure how different it is from the contour version. Can you post or PM me a pic of the standard version or point me to a thread where you have it pictured?

Thanks, Zimpod

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom