The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks good Stuart. I'm planning on doing the same. I found a new, black, Hog 23 wing for $169, so I pulled the trigger and am going to go with the tank strap and try a pair of the DGX Scubapro quick release cam bands. My harness hardware is on the way, so I hope to have it all set up by this weekend. I did consider the VDH wing, but since I dive hp 100's and may add a bit of weight on cam band pockets in the winter with thicker protection, as well as cost differential, I went with the Hog and the extra 5lbs of lift. I can't wait to get it together and get it in the water!
May I ask the source of your HOG 23#wing for $169? I bought two HOG 32# wings for $169ea from divers supply.com , but would like a warm water smaller wing as well.
I am still shopping for harness and hardware, so if you have a recommendation, on what you bought and the source, I would really appreciate it.

May I ask the source of your HOG 23#wing for $169? I bought two HOG 32# wings for $169ea from divers supply.com , but would like a warm water smaller wing as well.
I am still shopping for harness and hardware, so if you have a recommendation, on what you bought and the source, I would really appreciate it.
I hate to butt in here, but I have to tell you that while I was ordering my VDH wing at vintagedoublehose.com I also noticed that Bryan has everything you need to put together a great harness system and he has great cam bands too. Those guys actually dive their stuff not just sell it, so he sources the best stuff he can find.

May I suggest:

The New "Freedom VDH BCD"! A Minimalist System!

Not available now at stores near you!

I've suggested this to you before, but I think this particular pairing would be genius.

Not all folks want to be bothered with putting parts together.

How can I place an order? :)

I hate to butt in here, but I have to tell you that while I was ordering my VDH wing at vintagedoublehose.com I also noticed that Bryan has everything you need to put together a great harness system and he has great cam bands too. Those guys actually dive their stuff not just sell it, so he sources the best stuff he can find.

The only tank straps I see on VDH are the Highland ones. I had a set of those and hated them so much I literally gave them away. I like the DGX SP-style ones a LOT better!

Just to keep the FACTS straight. I carry bands by XS scuba which I use myself and have for several years and have no plans on switching. I have sold dozes of them over the years with great feedback from those using them. I carry standard nylon bands as well which are a great inexpensive option and are lightweight for travel. I have on order another quick release band similar to many others sold on the net but don't expect them till around Christmas time. It think my friend Randy at Piranha has them in stock now. The nylon bands, DIR type harness and Argonaut wings are made here in the US by two other small business like myself.

@OWIC647 If I said anything that was factually incorrect, I certainly apologize. If I did, I'm not sure what it was, so please let me know.

The Highland tank straps I was referring to were these:

Store - Vintage Double Hose

It does say they are made by XS Scuba.

I got the set I used to have from Dive Gear Express.

Highland Tank Straps, Quick Release w/ Cam Buckle (PAIR)

The biggest problem I had with them was that the hook is too deep. When adjusted to the right tension, just opening the cam didn't create enough slack to easily unhook the strap. It's an issue that has been well-documented here on SB:

Highland/XS scuba Cambands.....Doesn't seem right

DGX is awesome, and QR tank strap PIF

Genaric ScubaPro style tank strap experiences?

This thread even talks about the issue and shows @Akimbo's solution (on page 3) of cutting part of the hook off, to make them more usable.

Do you have either of these tank straps?

I mean, if you can't easily unhook the end, then how are they any better than a normal cam band?

With the DGX version of the ScubaPro-style, I like the following things that are advantages (to me) over the Highland ones:

- I can easily completely undo the strap to remove the BCD from the tank without lifting the BCD.

- The length of the strap is easier to adjust (to me). It's just some velcro. I have always found precise adjustment of a cam band tightness to be more difficult than the SP-style adjustment.

- The DGX SP-style has the bitter end of the strap where it tucks in between the tank band and the tank itself. So, during a dive there is no end of the strap to come loose from velcro and float around.

- The Highland straps come with a rubber pad that you position under the buckle to protect the tank finish. It is a PITA to use and position every time. The DGX SP-style has part of the webbing that extends to under the buckle, so you don't really have to do anything to make sure the tank finish is protected when you fasten the buckle.

- They are now only $15 each ($30 per pair), from Dive Gear Express. They used to be $20 each, but the price dropped sometime recently.

DGX Tank Strap, Quick Release with S/S Hinge Buckle

@Eric Sedletzky I apologize for veering the thread off the course of discussion. VDH has a spot in the manufactures section of the board if divers have questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom