The New Dive Rite Optima CM - My 30 Hour Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think many of us in MERICA find fault with the EU standards. The inability of any MCCR to get CE because of a lack of automated O2 addition and control, is a perfect example of nanny state stupidity.

Though I find many aspects of CE to be unnecessary or even counterproductive to diver safety/competence and systems reliability, WOB testing certainly is important, especially given the newer gas density guidelines.

WOB testing is the most important test of all, because WOB obviously involves every breath you take from the beginning to the end of every dive. Scrubber duration, O2 control, sensor and electronics validation may become issues during a dive, but probably will not, unless you are poorly trained or badly distracted, things which are diver performance issues and mostly within our control. WOB is a baseline we cannot affect, but which affects us every second we try to sustain life in the most human hostile environment on the planet.

Again, I don't need a test to tell me if I like something. I've dove great breathing machines like the Optima, Liberty, Hollis. I've dove just okay machines like the JJ, Sidekick, Sidewinder. I've dove some really crap breathing machines like the rEvo. Anyone with a little bit of experience recognizes immediately what sucks and what doesn't. Ted McCoy who easily has a decade more experience than I do, and teaches on virtually every unit out there said the CM breathes better than any unit he's ever dove. If you knew Ted, that recommendation alone has more weight than any number a machine spits out.

I don't need a test to tell me I like a Snickers bar. I ate one and liked it. It was delicious.

But credit where credit is due, this unit is awesome. If you don't believe me, you can come try mine for free.
As other have mentioned, it looks very similar to the French Triton mCCR.
While I haven't given up on my rEvo just yet, I am starting to think that a unit of that design might make a perfect bailout rebreather...

As other have mentioned, it looks very similar to the French Triton mCCR.
While I haven't given up on my rEvo just yet, I am starting to think that a unit of that design might make a perfect bailout rebreather...
The problem with the Triton is that you think it will be a BO RB but in fact it will become your main RB :)

I think many of us in MERICA find fault with the EU standards. The inability of any MCCR to get CE because of a lack of automated O2 addition and control, is a perfect example of nanny state stupidity.
Yet "somehow" through some voodoo magic, the mCCR Triton has a CE rating.

Some of us (me) think CE approval is used as a protectionist trade tool by the EU as often as an objective metric of performance.

I have a sidewinder. Took me almost 6 months to get it. I like it a lot. Mike is crazy busy churning them out.
I'm happy with mine, but if you go vertical it can be a big challenge to breathe

Yet "somehow" through some voodoo magic, the mCCR Triton has a CE rating. Some of us (me) think CE approval is used as a protectionist trade tool by the EU as often as an objective metric of performance.

Really?? And the earth is flat, and Elvis is not dead. For the benefit of the subscribers to this thread lets stick with the known facts that we all have available to us. EN 14143 is a standard, its conditions are written in black and white. The beauty of this standard is that your unit either passes or fails them. It don't care if your an American, European or some other Unit.

Regards

Cathal

Really?? And the earth is flat, and Elvis is not dead. For the benefit of the subscribers to this thread lets stick with the known facts that we all have available to us. EN 14143 is a standard, its conditions are written in black and white. The beauty of this standard is that your unit either passes or fails them. It don't care if your an American, European or some other Unit.

Regards

Cathal

Then explain how the triton passes the "automatic" O2 injection requirement when no other mCCR can meet that standard.

Then explain how the triton passes the "automatic" O2 injection requirement when no other mCCR can meet that standard.

I have no dog in this fight. No opinion on the politics being debated.

I'm just curious about a technical question. Does the Triton has a CMF or needle valve? Would that qualify as "automatic" O2 injection? I mean, if it has one of those things, then the user would not have to do anything manually to have O2 injected, right?

I know nothing about the standard in question. I guess I'm really just curious about what is being discussed. Really, how DID the Triton meet the requirement?

I have no dog in this fight. No opinion on the politics being debated.

I'm just curious about a technical question. Does the Triton has a CMF or needle valve? Would that qualify as "automatic" O2 injection? I mean, if it has one of those things, then the user would not have to do anything manually to have O2 injected, right?

I know nothing about the standard in question. I guess I'm really just curious about what is being discussed. Really, how DID the Triton meet the requirement?
The triton has an orifice.
Other mCCRs (also with orifices) cannot get CE because they don't have an "automatic" O2 injection system which doesn't rely on the diver. For all the ballyhoo about the standards, they are not consistently applied.

The triton has an orifice.
Other mCCRs (also with orifices) cannot get CE because they don't have an "automatic" O2 injection system which doesn't rely on the diver. For all the ballyhoo about the standards, they are not consistently applied.

Hmm. That's a drag. Is there no public documentation on the Triton's cert that shows how that requirement was "satisfied"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom