The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. TFX on sale for $2,252.46 (from $2,649.95 - 15% off Huish stuff in general), but on BO. Makes me wonder if there is a bigger batch coming out of production soon, otherwise why put it on sale if demand exceeds anticipated supply?

It may be old stock before they fixed that diaphragm retainer and changed the spec on the exhaust valve leaflet...

Sure would be nice if new stock were arriving!

For those in Canada, Dan's Dive Shop in Ontario is having a decent sale on Atomic regs, including the TFX (sale price C$2,932.46, over C$500 off!).

Not sure if this is the old stock (it's on B/O though) or the new stock coming through that has the issue fixed.

I just got back from a fantastic dive trip to the Philippines with my new TFX regulator. Big thanks to Robert Singler for his excellent YouTube video about this reg. Normally my YouTube attention span is only about 5-10 minutes, but I watched the whole 2h54m video. From the early history of the Pilot regulator all the way to watching Robert disassemble the TFX and discuss every component, I really appreciate his knowledge and meticulous research. That video really made me excited to get my hands on this regulator a.s.a.p.

Well, about a week before my trip to the Philippines I was on a work trip in Reno, NV. Google maps showed a dive shop just around the corner from my hotel, so I wandered over to Sierra Dive Center. Everyone working there was really friendly and fun to talk with, Keith and Keith2 and Miki are great people. Much to my surprise, they actually had a TFX DIN reg. in stock! I wasn't planning on spending $2385, but since this reg. is out of stock pretty much everywhere, and I really wanted to use it in the Philippines, I grabbed it while I had the chance. They might have 1 or 2 available still, give them a call.

I'm not enough of a "connoisseur" to really notice a huge difference from my Atomic ST1, but I remember taking the first breath from the TFX and thinking, "ooh, yeah, that's nice." I'm pretty sure my reg. must be old stock with the issue that Robert Singler mentions because it does breathe a little wet when I'm upside down trying to peer under a ledge. I'll definitely send it to AA to have them update the parts. Indeed, it is a bit frustrating that such an expensive flagship product has a minor problem. For that kind of money and the reputation that AA has for perfection, it should be flawless. But I only noticed it when I was occasionally upside down and it wasn't all that bad.

I really should have swapped to my Atomic Ti2 octo. once in a while just for comparison but I was too busy enjoying the scenery. Initially I had the rapid adjustment knob all the way back in the minimum flow position. I completed 2-3 dives before I remembered to adjust it. With the lever forward in the max. flow position, I definitely noticed a bit more positive pressure when inhaling, like the reg. was filling my lungs for me without having to suck in air. Oddly, I occasionally noticed a very slight "thunk" at the end of a big inhalation. I moved the lever back slightly and it went away. Maybe other TFX owners can comment on that. I can't wait to go back to the Philippines again and use the TFX, maybe next time I'll swap to my secondary just for comparison.

I just texted the owner. What I thought I saw in the display case was not a price for old stock.

New Atomic TFX: $2199
I doubt shipping will be $400.
Marin Diving Center
3765 Redwood Hwy
San Rafael, CA 94903
(415) 479-4332

Ask for Jon Edens

I wish they offered a long hose (and short hoses for that matter) with their swivel for their regulators. Seems every time I see a promotional picture of one of their first stages, it has a hose attached to the 5th port and I know it's not a long hose.

I wish they offered a long hose (and short hoses for that matter) with their swivel for their regulators. Seems every time I see a promotional picture of one of their first stages, it has a hose attached to the 5th port and I know it's not a long hose.

Are you saying you want a 7' hose with the Comfort Swivel?

For me, the Comfort Swivel does not give enough angle. It only swivels something like 30 degrees I think?
For my 7' hoses, I prefer either no swivel or a 70/110 degree swivel.

For my "longer" hose that runs from bottom port under my right arm in single tank, I definitely prefer no swivel, as it is my "octo" and a swivel would just have it sagging down lower when I'm in horizontal trim.

For a shorter Comfort Swivel hose, the "repair kit" that was posted before is working well for me. I shortened my TFX hose to around 24", so I could retain that very expensive titanium Comfort Swivel. The swivel angle is acceptable to me, on a short hose of a single tank reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom