The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you guys notice the removable sleeve? This must be a color kit, right? So we can expect them to come in different colors eventually... Not sure I'd want this kind of reg as an octo (since the Ti2 is so wonderfully compact), but I'd buy the TFX octo that probably would lack a swivel (= cheaper), and use it as a primary.

Attachments

• Color kit?.jpg
    Color kit?.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 54
I have never wished for an adjustable venturi in my Atomic regs. The AFC gives that and seems to work fine. I like not needing to remember to flip a switch back and forth between Dive and Pre-dive.
Have you ever used the Atomic as a safe second? I had real problems with a loose Atomic bursting into free flow upon boat entry.

Have you ever used the Atomic as a safe second? I had real problems with a loose Atomic bursting into free flow upon boat entry.
I have a T3/B2 octo setup. I have never had a free flow on primary or octo with giant stride or back roll entries from boats.

I keep my Ti2 octo bungeed to my right shoulder (I sew on the bungee so the octo reg is touching my shoulder) , and use the adjusting knob to increase the cracking effort. The AFC does the rest. Set at spec I never had any freeflow. Nor at depth when the AFC opens. Atomic really designed the venturi carefully, but I need something to decrease flow when the reg is parked, i.e. either cracking adjuster (Ti2) or the venturi adjustment on the TFX.

My primary T2 is hot tuned (lowest cracking effort) and with the AFC permanently retracted (for constant max venturi even if shallow), and with a large bore Apeks mouthpiece, yup, that will freeflow a little out of my mouth if Iam not attentive, but it does not go as ballistic as the S620ti. My hat off to those engineers for balancing the characteristics of flow just right.

As a "safe second"? I thought a safe second was specifically one of those combo reg/power inflator things?

I'm guessing you just mean as my alternate 2nd stage?

If so, the answer is yes. When I had a Z2 set for single tank, I had identical Z2 2nd stages for primary and alternate. No problems with free flowing (as long as it wasn't pointed up when I hit the water, of course).

I have an M1 set, which I use when diving doubles. So, that is also with an M1 as primary 2nd stage and another M1 as alternate 2nd stage. Same answer as when using Z2 regs.

I do also normally keep my alternate 2nd stage WOB knob turned a turn or two back from its easiest breathing setting, to help prevent freeflows when splashing.

Gosh, you might be right. But I would think referring to a “safe second” in that context to be an oxymoron.
As a "safe second"? I thought a safe second was specifically one of those combo reg/power inflator things?

I'm guessing you just mean as my alternate 2nd stage?
A safe second is an octopus, synonymous, both of which are the alternate for your buddy and your buddy is yours. In tech think where a manifolded doubles or alternate independent air sources are common then an alternate is indeed an alternate, for you or whoever. I think the YMCA used "safe second" terminology, beats me, so long ago, but it is or was a common term for an octopus second stage to donate to your buddy in need. Clear as muddy water to me.

For the people that dive the D350, D400, D420 etc: Do you use a D-series reg as an octo?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom