The most suitable BP/W for beginners among the following

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mouka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone, I'm a beginner at diving with about 60 dives. I've always rent the BCD in the past, and only jacket-style one is available.
But I'm going to buy a BP/W and travel with it now.

Furthermore, I've done some search on my local dive shops and e-commerce, and the following BP/Ws are the only ones that are available to me.
  • Akuana Sonic
  • Aqualung Rogue
  • Scubapro S-Tek
  • Scubapro Hydros Pro (maybe it's just back inflated?)
  • Cressi Aquawing
  • Halcyon Infinity (seems too expensive to me)
  • Mares XR Trim
  • Xdeep
Honestly, the newbies like me think they look the same, except for the price. So I definitely need you guys' help to choose the right one. If you think there is another brand not listed above that is more suitable for me, please let me know, I may try my best to get one.

Appreciate all your advice!

Honestly, for backplates and wings, the less branded the better, imho. The brands all try to find their own unique selling points, which often just means making things odd or incompatible with components from other brands. The basic unit from Xdeep ("Zeos Standard") is good, similarly from Halcyon. However I think you'd be just as happy with some no-name knockoff which may turn out to be more "standard". In either case, maybe avoid the "comfort"/"deluxe" style band with padding and quick releases etc. You can always add that stuff if your really end up missing it, but generally it's not necessary.

Hydros pro is a back inflate b/c, a very good one that dives very nicely, it’s modular, meaning its various parts can be replaced but only one source for those parts.

A backplate/wing is modular with a very wide source of parts and generic pieces, I use the S Tek plate but my own webbing type set up but reality is just get the cheapest no branded that you can find, dive gear express offers an excellent package deal.

Disagree, not because it's a bad BCD, but because it is not in fact a backplate & wing. If that's what the OP is looking for, the Hydros Pro is not it.

If you’re in China, why not build a custom BP/W from individual components from aliexpress ? It will be considerably less expensive, and likely better than the alternatives you listed.

See this thread for ideas

Sanity check please - Chinese BP/W setup

SS plate, 30# wing, single piece webbing harness. Brand doesn’t really matter that much.
^^^ This
I have a few BP&W setups with mismatched components and I haven't died yet.
Dive Rite SS plate with an Apeks wing and a Hollis harness.
Dive Rite AL plate, DR harness with a Hollis wing
Sub Gravity SS plate and harness with a Hollis wing

I would say from personal experience, none of the above-> DGX

I’m always amazed that posts from USA based SB’ers never bother to check which country the OP is posting from and recommend US based retailers.

The cost of shipping and import duties and taxes make all such recommendations simply ridiculous.

It’s one thing to recommend a brand that may (or may not) be available in the OP’s country, quite another to recommend a US based retailer.

Back
Top Bottom