The Morrison Spring Cavern Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A group of us were talking at Vortobefest about the how large the cavern is at Morrison Spring. Some of us who like to take pictures, were talking about how it is impossible to take pictures that really show the size of the cavern at Morrison Spring. Even with dual strobes, your camera is only able to capture one small portion of the cavern.

This got me thinking. What if we all started planning an event at Morrison once it is open. The goal would be to put enough divers in the cavern at one time with enough lights, to light up the cavern. Then, a number of us could take some "once in a lifetime pictures." I am posting a picture below of a famous Wes Skiles photo to give you an idea what I am talking about.
diepolder-cave-521196-sw.jpg

I am aware that they use large, commercial lights for a shot like this. I am just wondering if we could accomplish the same thing with a bunch of cave lights, hand helds, etc. All of them projecting in different directions at one time. Maybe, we could finally get some shots that will show the vastness of the Morrison Cavern.

It sounds like a fun project to me. If there is enough interest, I would like to start planning for such an event. We could start planning the logistics of such an undertaking, and once Morrison is "officially" open, we could set a date.

Let me say we would not want to overload the cavern or do anything that harms the cavern, spring, or divers. I would just like to get some awesome Morrison cavern pictures that we all could have and enjoy.

Let me know when it happens. I think it should be on a weekday if possible or at least on a weekend that's not that busy. It will be difficult to coordinate this if out of area divers are there and want to dive it while we're taking pictures.

Count me and my cave light in. I bet I could talk some local cave shops into loaning us some video reflector lights also.

I think Wes took that pictures of Diepolder(2 or 3?) and did the lighting himself. It was just a long exposure and he swam around with that portable sun to expose different areas of the cave. All the divers you see in that picture are Wes I believe.

All that being said, I think we can get by with just a few divers in the water. Even doable on the weekend if we get an early morning start. With external strobes, you could get 2 or 3 flashes, should be focused on some of the more intersting features(like vents and the big boulder and the ledges) within a 30 second shutter speed. Then have a diver or two painting the walls with an HID for fill.

Oh, and I'm in and first in line for a print!

I've got a mini tripod I can donate and rig up with weights for this shindig!

Oh, and lets pull all the crap out of the cavern too. Don't need no stinkin gnome ruining a great picture!

I definitely want to be there when we all celebrate the reopening of Morrisons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom