The Mine LaMotte Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[I am nominating SKDVR to be the treasure since he has already holding our cash for the cans.. if anyone objects speak up ]

I second the motion. Can we do that Chris as the original founders of this? What the h#@l , we'll do it anyways. Seconded. All in favor?

Chris u dog. U were just at my house today and never mentioned any of this to me. arrrrh. Of course, u are forgiven since u helped me get loaded for my trip. I have my way about things and u will be in a drysuit and doubles before long. I can't have my partner cold and not being able to stay down as long as me.

Well it's late and I'm heading to my next job in the afternoon. So I'll talk to everyone when I get back in about a week. Everyone, if your diving the mines this weekend be SAFE and dive another day. Please do not go past your experience level. We do not want any accidents here ever. I'm sure there are wolfs on the sidelines just waiting to hear about an accident by an inexperienced diver so they can pounce out and say something to the effect of told you it was a dangerous place. That kind of stuff.
We are here to turn a nice diving location into a great diving resort if you will. And the only way we can do that is to maintain an absolute safty record and just keep cleaning it up and adding sites to see.
We really do need to either put something in the water to filter it or absorb the algae. Chris and I are working on that. I hate the fact that below 20+ ft it goes all black. Hard to find stuff like that. And that's my job as a professional, go figure.
Later guys, be safe.
Norm

Geno, glad to have you aboard. I think we are all here now.

Did I here somebody say our numbers are growing, hehehe. Sorry couldn't help myself there.

Now it's time to recruit move divers to join us on our adventure here. Got a buddy? Send an invite. The more the merrier. And the sooner we can get this place cleaned up. I believe that the staff at the mines will be enforcing the littering once we get it cleaned up as was originally discussed with the owner. I believe that they are sincere about it as we are about attracting more divers.
O.K., that's my last post for the night.

Oh, you LIKE long essays? OK, than allow me to add a P.S., hehe

B1G-
If it were me, I might not do the mapping in the cavern for 2 reasons:
1. Risk of going into a tunnel is great when you are staying below the surface, counting your kicks and concentrating on your compass
2. Those cavern zones are pretty murky. Might be easier to map somewhere w/ >10' vis..
On the other hand, you might welcome the challenge, so of coarse it's up to you!

Mapping is cake, provided you are conducting it safely. The key is to have other divers on hand (specifically a surface crew and an experienced Rescue/Accident Management Diver) to help out, but you already know that. Then you need to use the tech/cave diver tools: Lights, a safety line per diver on a reel (for diver recovery), a path line w/ different colored arrows pointing the way to destination and back home (yes they make these for this purpose), a compass for direction changes, and a slate to log your direction changes, kick counts, line placements, and hazards.

The other method is REALLY expensive and very time consuming: Doppler mapping. This was conducted by the Ozarks Cave Diving Alliance not too long ago for part of Alley Spring (I think). Ozark Cave Diving Alliance Home Page

Once you have the mapping done (at least what you want done), you could easily make part of the site a DPV run to help divers conserve air and extend the dive range.

Phil-
You know that half of the black plastic bags were filled with cans, right?

Tom

Geno, glad to have you aboard. I think we are all here now.

Did I here somebody say our numbers are growing, hehehe. Sorry couldn't help myself there.

Now it's time to recruit move divers to join us on our adventure here. Got a buddy? Send an invite. The more the merrier. And the sooner we can get this place cleaned up. I believe that the staff at the mines will be enforcing the littering once we get it cleaned up as was originally discussed with the owner. I believe that they are sincere about it as we are about attracting more divers.
O.K., that's my last post for the night.
Thank you for the welcome Stingray. This is a very exciting time for me, as I have been aware of this place forever, but never had the time/access to check it out. Our current situation is amazing...almost ideal. Nice work you guys.

Anybody in for diving on Sunday? Both I and rsigmund will be there. If interested, we are going to Mermet Springs on Saturday as well.

Thanks,
Bill

"what about saturday? any takers on saturday?? "

bsig- I may take you up on the mermet dive on sat. A friend and I are considering heading out for a coupla afternoon dives and twilight/night dive or two. i'll letya know. U just goin out for recreation or do you have classes?

P.S. I'm not sure about this rexracer guy, he seems kind of strange. But then again, all my friends are strange :) Glad ur on the scuba board senor, now if we can only teach these guys to play aerobie we can really have fun during the surface intervals...

P.P.S. I double second the seconding of whoever was nominated for treasurer...

Whos got time during surface intervals??? lol... isnt aerobie like a frisbie without a center? about that Rex guy... got to watch out for him... any associate of Fleep.. well you get the picture.. hahaha... welcome aboard REX

Let me know if anyone is diving for sure on Sunday at the mine.. I will come visit for a while with the little one.

We just got a crap load of rain here in Ste Gen.. just some FYI..

Talk to yall soon...

Chris,

Nice work on finding the new dive site. The old messages I found on Google talk a lot about the "bat room". Perhaps this is the room you found as well. I am very excited about the idea of clear water - even if I have to free dive or snorkel.

I am also working on contacting the previous explorers, so maybe we could coordinate. PM me if you wish.

I have already contacted Mike Heusack and a guy named Skip. Mike claims most of the lines that enter the mine (he said that at one time all of the lines were his). Mike did not have access to a map of the mine and did not make one during his dives.

Skip, however, claims to have a "stick map", which I am trying to obtain. I am not sure what a "stick map" is - but obviously it is more than we have now.

Both of these guys were very friendly and returned my emails and calls quickly.

Mike did mention that safety is his highest concern as he was involved with some recovery efforts at MLM in the past.

Geno

The map that Skip has is a line map that I produced over the last couple of years. It is a rough line map of the overhead areas; none of the OPW or cavern areas are included.

Steve
Could we get a copy of that map?
We appreciate it. This would be a start and then as we go add to it and produce a larger map of the entire area.
Thanks for the help

Chris.

Back
Top Bottom