The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that the HUB has potentially more areas for failure, what with it's internal piping, and that's a bad thing, but besides that (and ok, maybe that's already enough) what's wrong with it? A previous post mentioned the pneumatic inflate/deflate. It could be argued that because it's non-standard, it's a potential problem in an emergency, but gosh, it's not that hard to figure out, and no less non-standard than the different button configurations on a "normal" inflate/deflate hose, esp if it has a secondary regulator on it. If that guy with the HUB couldn't figure out that, he probably doesn't deserve to be a diver. I have the Airtrim (i.e. the pneumatic inflate/deflate) on my Dragonfly BC, and it works great.

-Simon

Originally posted by simonk999
I have the Airtrim (i.e. the pneumatic inflate/deflate) on my Dragonfly BC, and it works great.

But I can see why you are positive about it simon.

BTW... how much did the BC so equipped cost... curious minds

Your right, the internal piping prevents you or your buddy from seeing pinhole leaks in high pressure hoses. Is there a way to disconnect a runaway power inflator or dump. Also when your reg malfunctions on a trip you also loose your bc. Your don't get many options either.

I just don't think that it is a good idea. A gimmick.

This is just my opinion.

So yeah, my feeling is that the HUB's big disadvantage is hidden high pressure lines. On the other hand, they're protected and therefore not exposed to abrasion or UV. The pneumatic inflate/deflate isn't so big a problem since those lines are low pressure, and sticking on can happen with "normal" hoses too. Just for the record, there are dual manual dumps on the BC, and there's a quick release on the input hose into the Airtrim control, just like the input to a "normal" hose, at least on mine (don't know how the HUB manages this)

Discounting maintenance issues, I do think that the benefit of having everything preconnected and integral is a good thing, especially the way it folds into it's own hardsided backpack -- when I pack my BC, it doesn't use luggage space very efficiently. Nevertheless, it is expensive compared to buying things separately, so whether or not you view it as a gimmick or not, you pay extra for it over separate components.

And Uncle Pug, my Dragonfly BC cost me $450US

-Simon

Simon, you really need to go back and read your notes.

You're basically saying "well, if you ignore all these problems, it's a great system!"

The problem is physics doesn't ignore all those things, you shouldn't either.

Snub the HUB.

Roak

Ps. "Protecting" the hoses is really trapping sand and grit next to the hoses and makes things worse.

that conceptually, it's a good idea, but that in practise, it doesn't seem to work out. In other words, it'd be great, but...

So, no, you don't see me rushing out to buy one. 'Nuff said.

-Simon

:mean:Hi,

Thank all of you for your posts..they were all informative although it seems like one of those new "emerging" technology type thing that is causing some religious debates. The were all valid points and I now have a good idea of the bads AND goods of a more integrated system.

It's interesting to see that a good majority enjoys the integration of weight (IWS) but when it comes to pieces we care about Regs, Oct, we tend to not like the packaged idea. This may be the case of over designing something that is best served with simplicity...but we shall see.

Thanks again all...and thanks Simon for speaking out despite the heavy fire goin on especially since you actually OWN one of similar technology.

Happy diving.

Originally posted by PeeJaa

Thanks again all...and thanks Simon for speaking out despite the heavy fire goin on especially since you actually OWN one of similar technology.

Ditto...
Good job under fire Simon

Had the opportunity to try a friends HUB system on last week, he just bought it and may decide to take it back. Why?

Fit: bulky, very bulky if you've tried other BC's you will notice the difference. Also, very heavy, due to all the equipment in the pockets, reg, octo.

Agree, with all the threads above, though servicing did not seem like a big issue, we removed the back plate to install SPG and it was quite easy, now to change regs', maybe a little more difficult but it can be done.

All and All, probably a good concept for some, but i decided against it and I think my buddy will to.

waterdogs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom