The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off the subject but... I just put my 36lb pioneer on my plate and dove the bp/wing with a single tank this weekend (mostly dive doubles). This makes for the most stable, streamline and comfortable rig you could imagine. Do yourself and try it once! Back to the HUB...I would rather use a milk jug on a string. Sorry.

Not enough dives with a jug yet to say for sure. But a question comes to mind. If GI3 had only two choices a jug or a HUB, which would he choose? And, if he had to make a public statement explaining his decision, what would he say?

I have an opinion...

Hello Pluto and welcome to the board.
Seems like this has come up before on this board. I would suggest that you do a word search and see what you come up with. I have never seen or had my hands on one so any opinion I have is not worth a lot. I will say that I want my reg and my BC to be totally seperate from each other so I can mix or match equipment as I see fit. It also allows me to have one piece in the shop and still use the other piece with spare/rental equipment if necessary.

Again, welcome to the board.

Pluto was looking for someone to actually express their opinions on the HUBs good, bad or otherwise..........I haven't seen these getups except for in the ads in the dive rags.....so I cannot comment sirectly on them, other than they look like a practical setup if you prefer the jacket style BC and travel quite a bit to dive.....Personally I don't think it is for me......

Pluto:

I have seen one at a dive show but not met anyone who has used it. The claimed advantage was streamlining as most of the hoses (and I think the octo) were tucked away inside the vest with, I believe, 1 air hose from the reg feeding all LP requirements.

The big knock against them seems to be that they have a lot more failure points due to the manifolds, tees and other plumbing connections, with all the associated o-rings and stress points, to route all these hoses around inside.

Other criticisms are the non-standard set-up means other divers may not know where your inflate/deflate and octo are in an emergency and you can't just grab a standard hose or fitting to repair the thing if it fails while you are travelling somewhere. Also a lot of the hoses are not exposed for easy inspection every time you dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom