The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please go to the search button on the top right of your screen and do a search on HUB.

You absolutely do not want one of those things. They are fraught with problems, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them discontinued in a short while.

Not only that, you can get a top-line Reg and BC set for far less money.

Please stay away from the HUB - it's a POS.

I agree with above statement.

To be a little bit ore critcal about it, how about this. For all that money the damn things isn't even weigh-integrated. You get a ghetto reg in a ghetto bc. Really you pay and extra 1000 dollars to have some knucklehead at the fatory sew on some nylon to cover up the hoses and roll up your octo. GARBAGE!!

And YES, I dove on at the test fair. Not at all nice or good. It is dangerous in my opinion.

USMC DIVER

I was curious, so I looked it up. The on-line retail price is marked down to $899 from an original list price of $1599. Whew! It would be a bummer to have been one of the first people to buy one. It's sort of weight integrated. The description says that there are two weight pockets. You just can't release the weights.

"JoeDiver and Dacor present the H.U.B! The latest innovation and the worlds first integrated diving system come from a company that for 45 years has been on the forefront of the industry.
The HUB eliminates the risk of diver entanglement. Thanks to its front mounted regulator and fully integrated hoses, the HUB insures greater safety, helps safeguard the environment and provides a more streamlined profile, thus enhancing diving comfort and minimizing air consumption.
The Inflator unit is always within reach. With its ultra-practical positioning, the HUB inflator is always at hand to provide perfect buoyancy control by means of its 2 oversized inflation and deflation buttons.
The Safe Second (octo) is always at hand too! It is stowed in a special compartment, there is no trailing hose which might become entangled during the dive, and its forward position maximizes freedom of movement when the alternative second stage is in use.
The HUB is super easy to set up to dive and also incorporates two rear pockets for non-releasable weights, allowing you to customize the buoyancy of the unit and reduce the number of weights on the belt."

We're trying to steer this guy away from a BC which is horribly overpriced and a POS.

There are numerous, NUMEROUS threads on this board talking about the shortfalls of this crap. There are far too many to list here.

Suffice it to say - the HUB = bad, bad idea.

Personally, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from spouting promotional material for the thing.

I approached the HUB with an open mind, read the ad, and tried to understand the design philosophy. The primary advantage of the system is that the octopus and gauges do not dangle. This can be corrected on a conventional scuba set with two clips. I tried to think of a situation in which it would be an advantage to have the regulator integrated into the jacket, but couldn't come up with one. Even with the HUB at a sale price, you can buy a BC and regulator set as separate items and spend less money. So, with the HUB, there is no real advantage over a more standard style SCUBA set, but there are some disadvantages.

I will agree with the other two guys. You could get a conventional scuba set for less money, and you would probably be happier with it over the long run.

I too, looked at the HUB with an open mind, before I even knew about this board. The thing that really turned me off was the octo/weight integration combo on the Avante Garde.

The octo is partially hidden in a pocket (bad enough) with a grab handle that you need to pull to get it out. The grab handle is right next to the handle that pulls out the integrated weight pocket.

Even if you brief your buddy on it, it looks way too easy to pull the wrong handle if someone is OOA, and rushing to get the octo.
You could conceiveably get into a situation where one buddy has no air, pulls out the pocket, and shoots down. The buddy who has air will suddenly be positive, and probably not able to arrest his ascent.

Look at this link

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=964&parentCategory=954&sort=prsdesc

You can see the red weight release handle is within just a few inches of the yellow octo handle.

Scott

Thanks for the advice everyone (and talk about quick replies!). I was really thinking of getting one of these but you guys make good points...
save money, get something better
if it ain't broke, don't fix it (i.e. its a POS)

I'll check out the equipment specific threads to pick my reg, BC and wetsuit.

Regards to all.

"What' the point if you don't take time to stop and smell the fish."

Most of you guys are using the term HUB generically but only Dacor and Mares make these BC's and they differ significantly in design. It seems that the three most serious deficiencies in the HUB concept are minimized in the Dacor product.

The first is the "octo in the pocket". On the Mares HUB you are supposed to put the octo 2nd stage inside a clear but zippered pocket where you can see it but may not be able to get to it. On the other hand I believe the Dacor holds the octo hose in a pocket with the octo 2nd stage protruding within the triangle. The pocket is velcro'ed shut so you can just grab and pull it in an emergency. This seems like an entirely reasonable configuration.

The second major concern is the complexity of hose routings. The Mares design contains a bewildering number of hose spitters and uses flexible tubing in a strained configuration even where no flexibility is requred. The whole thing seems cobbled together from off-the-shelf fittings. The Dacor design at least uses a custom rigid metal manifold to minimize the number of failure points. For example independent hoses run from this manifold to each 2nd stage.

Lastly, many have criticized the price of the HUB products. A casual survey at leisurepro.com shows the Mares HUB's at $750 and $1150 while the Dacor comes in at $600.

In my opinion the Mares HUB is intended to make a fashion statement while Dacor at least tries to offer a more streamlined yet practical and affordable BC with its HUB.

Regards,

:) :) :)

I personally dont like the HUB at all. I think it is a mess of BCD. I much prefer the idea of simplification. If you dont need it dont take it. I dont think anyone needs this BCD. Just my opinion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom