The Last Grey Wolf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Description from Goodreads.
A sunken German submarine lies on the floor of the Gulf of Mexico near Galveston. The mystery--the U.S. Government apparently has no record of its existence. Treasure and ship wreck hunter Tom Townsend who located the U- Boat researched the mystery to find the answer--A COVER UP. WHY?

last grey wolf.jpg

I came across this book on a second-hand book search website. It sounded like an interesting story. I had hear stories/speculation of the lost mercury-ballasted U-boat sunk in the Gulf of Mexico when I hung around Mobile in the 1990s. That legend is not the basis of this story, although these U-boats are mentioned. But, the author's research on these and his history as a treasure hunter did inform the story.

We don't normally associate the northern GOM with treasure ships, that is more of a Caribbean/Florida Keys association. While this is perhaps an oversimplification, the treasure in this story is $6 million taken from the American Express Office when the Germans marched into Paris and sent to support former-SS personnel fleeing to Central America in the closing days of the war.

The basic outline is that a marine archaeologist and her former solider-of-fortune-turned-treasure-hunter husband embark on a search for the submarine after one of the pilots, who attacked and sunk the vessel near Galveston in the closing days of World War II, is mysteriously murdered in shortly after speaking with the couple in Bahamas. The novel is accurate as it describes visits to archives in search of information and the sometimes tedious at-sea search for the wreck. In keeping with the intrigue surrounding the sinking, the two discover a government cover-up of incident along the way. They team up with the only survivor of the sinking, Otto Snow, the last grey wolf.

This novel is a Young Adult book. The author's inscription on the book from April 15, 1983 reads "To the students of Lupkin Jr. H.S. East, good luck - good reading." I still found myself enjoying the story in much the same way I enjoy watching old Sea Hunt episodes or other re-reading other adventure stories I read as a youngster. Readers my age will recall events of the 1980s that form the context of the story, such as mercenaries in Rhodesia, Nazi hunters, Middle East terrorism, and the Central American drug smuggling, some of which are still with us in the headlines of today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom