The Keys or Cozumel ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We love Cozumel and visit several times a year to dive. We do dive the Upper Keys(better choice than Key West)as well. The airfare from where we live in New York is less than 150 RT and direct to Fort Lauderdale and not very long. We will be diving with Conch Republic and staying at Ragged Edge our next trip in June. Makes for a great long weekend of diving in warm water. If we have a week or longer Cozumel is our destination of choice anything shorter the keys are just prerfect.

gobylvr:
Thanks, we will probably go to Cozumel again just to get back into the water. I think we are supposed to go too Honduras and Bonaire next year. Has anyone ever been to Los Cabos ?

The Keys are not as bad as some make it sound. I would dive from the upper to middle keys, and if you like diving wrecks then the Keys beat Coz easily. All in all, Coz is probably better, esp. for reef diving. The problem in Coz is most places just do morning charters, you can find afternoon diving if you look around but most places in the Keys do a morning charter and an afternoon charter. We always do at least 4 dives per day on our Keys trips. In the Keys, you don't need a passport, you know the laws and customs, you can drive without fear, you can drink the water, you can speak English everywhere, etc.

I love going to both places and see each one with it's pros and cons. Costs are about the same. Airfare is less to the Keys but restaurants and hotels (for what you get) are more. If you can drive to the Keys that makes it much cheaper. Since you've been to Coz, I would recommend Keys simply because you need to see for yourself and experience a little variety.

I perfer the keys to Roatan

and prefer Bonaire to the Keys

Yeah, a four night stay in Cozumel would be too short for me. Cozumel is so fantastic that I would have to stay longer. Agree with the keys comments, if you dive any key it should be Key Largo (or Islamorada). Coz is better but to be fair to Key Largo, I have made dives in Key Largo where the viz was every bit as good as Coz. Doesn't happen every time, but it does happen. Whatever you do, have fun and be safe.

For what it's worth. We hit dive number 50 while on a 9 day trip in Cozumel a couple of weeks ago. Our first 35 dives had all been in Key Largo.

We enjoyed both. You could make cases for either. They are both ocean diving. and when conditions are good both have there strong points. Key Largo probably has more fish and nurse sharks. Coz may have bigger fish and more turtles, rays and has seahorses.

You might be able to drive to KL. But once you get to the destination in our experience Cozumel is cheaper.

Much of this depends on what you do, eat and where you stay either place.

Just my 20 pesos. From a first timer to Cozumel.
But will will return to the Keys as well. You can't go wrong either place.

Cozumel, Key Largo, Bonaire? Nice problem to have. No matter what you decide...you win!

DeputyDan:
I perfer the keys to Roatan

and prefer Bonaire to the Keys

Where did you dive in Roatan ? I've read drastically different opinions depending on what part of the island was dove. If going there for the 1st time this August. Hopefully I'll be diving the "good" part.

I'd give the nod to Cozumel over Key West. The Coz experience goes beyond the diving as the town is a cool place to hang out, and there are some great places to eat.

However Key Largo is a great vacation dive spot. I'm not sure I'd say the diving in Key Largo is a lot worst than Coz, but it's different. One thing Key Largo has going for it other than it's in the US is that there are some great wrecks to be done.

What Key Largo is missing is the atmosphere of the City of Coz, or Key West. I've not dove off of Key West, but I hear it's no where near as good as Largo.

Coz has MUCH more dramatic reefs vs. the Keys. But the Keys have some very amazing reef diving especially when VIS is in the 100foot range. Some things I enjoy about Key Largo diving is an abundance of Jewfish, and Nurse sharks not generally seen as much at Coz. Key Largo also has some REALLY nice Brain Coral, and I did not see anything in Coz as large. Coz OTOH has more turtles, or at least I saw a lot more there. They also have a lot of spotted eagle ray, or again, that was my experience.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Coz, or Key Largo. For a diving Trip however I would not think Key West would be a 1st choice.

Most of my Key Largo dive trips have involved spending the last night in Key West to offgas before the flight back home. :D

I've dove AKR to Coco View (Roatan) and haven't see a part that would make the Keys a better choice!!!!

Personally I like the AKR to West End diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom