The Keys or Cozumel ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gobylvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy all,

Need some advice again on where to go in June. We have picked two sites, the first being Key West in Florida and the second would be to return to Cozumel. We have heard the diving wasnt all that great in the Keys but we were also told that the last major hurricane to go through Cozumel all but wiped out the reefs. We are alwyas open to different places but we are trying to keep it to a four night stay and fairly inexpensive otherwise we would go back to Dominica, ha ha.

Thanks to you all we had a great time in Grand Caymen last year.

Liz

I haven't had much luck with the Keys, but I went during the Winter. Cozumel was fantastic!

IF I had a choice of Key West or Cozumel, then Cozumel hands down is the choice.

The diving in Key West basically is poor compared to the rest of the keys. If you're going to the Keys to dive, then Key West isn't your first choice. Key west is more ofr partying, etc.

The benefits to going to the keys is that it's driveable by anyone in the southeast, which is a good option. You can also get cheaper flights into FFL or MIA than what it costs to fly to Cozumel. HOwever, if you fly to the keys, you have to rent a car to get around. You don't really need a rental car in Cozumel. You can easily take a taxi anywhere you need to leave the resort.

Allison Finch:
Coz!! The reefs are better, even after the hurricane. The deeper reefs sustained much less damage.

ditto.....looked good below about 50-60 feet......

Having lived in Key West for 14 years beginning in the mid '80's, I watched the reefs go from pretty good to pretty bad. Coz is far, far better.

Also, the better keys diving is in the upper keys "Key Largo" as opposed to Key West.

However, outside of diving the upper keys offer very little as compared to Key West!

Thanks, we will probably go to Cozumel again just to get back into the water. I think we are supposed to go too Honduras and Bonaire next year. Has anyone ever been to Los Cabos ?

A Four Night Stay? For a dive trip??? Ummmm.... I really think you should reconsider that time limit. The price of airfare anywhere is the same no matter how long you stay so why not make it a full week to get your money's worth????

If you have already been to Coz then I would opt for Roatan since you say you are thinking of going there anyhow. I haven't been there but have been told that it is easy diving if that is a concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom