The Keys and TD16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back on track...the weather was fine today and should be decent next week (in Islamorada). NOAA said 10-15 kt winds but it sure didn't feel like it. I'm thinking it was more like 10 kts max. Seas inside the reef should be calm to a light chop depending on the wind direction and the water wasn't stirred up by Nichol...she blew herself out before she got here.

Have a good time.

Although some folks are suspicious of any charter operation, my experience is that most are quite honest. Look at the weather sites and the sea buoy data. Ask the charter what yesterday's trip was like.

I had a great time in the Keys about 10-12 years ago. A hurricane had come right over Key West, the Overseas Highway was closed below Marathon, and the conditions were wonderful in Key Largo.

The OP should not be shut down for the full time he is in the Keys - there should be a window for great diving, even if it is not the entire time.

If Admiral Brenda says 'seas are sporty' take the boat ride. She won't lie to you. And you WILL get a big ride!

DC

I agree! In fact one time I went out with an op in seas that they wouldn't normally go out in, but the other party was a bunch of New Jersey divers, and 6 ft. seas are nothing to them!

I think that most of the Keys operators are TOO conservative!

yeah, but while the extra weight of the sledge hammers and chisels will help get you New Jersey down fast in those waves.... they kinda frown on doing that in the ships in the marine sanctuary....

**snicker** :D Just kidding Ben. :D

Seriously, I've only been on one boat in the Keys where they whined about 2-3 ft waves. The captain/owner was a complete jerk and all he did was tell us how great he was the whole time.

But you're right, diving off the Jersey coast or the North Carolina coast, you'd need to be ready to dive in waves every time.

yeah, but while the extra weight of the sledge hammers and chisels will help get you New Jersey down fast in those waves.... they kinda frown on doing that in the ships in the marine sanctuary....

**snicker** :D Just kidding Ben. :D

Seriously, I've only been on one boat in the Keys where they whined about 2-3 ft waves. The captain/owner was a complete jerk and all he did was tell us how great he was the whole time.

But you're right, diving off the Jersey coast or the North Carolina coast, you'd need to be ready to dive in waves every time.

They frisked them before we splashed! :wink:

It should be ok. But you can not rely on what a dive shop tells you specially in the Keys. They would say anything and take you in 6FT sea

That really is not true. Most of the shops here know it is in there best interest to tell the truth

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom