The initial costs of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A decent rough estimate for a local OW class is $1K per person. That includes the class plus mask, snorkel, fins, and booties.
My LDS has OW for $600
By the time you add:
fins $149-$259
Mask $75-$150
Snorkel $35-$60
Booties $75
You’re right about there, on average.
Show up with you own (good quality) garage sale gear and the gear cost changes.

My LDS has OW for $600
By the time you add:
fins $149-$259
Mask $75-$150
Snorkel $35-$60
Booties $75
From what I see on CL in the Chicago area for scuba gear - crappy looking fins/masks, SP BCDs from the 80s or 90s, and ancient looking Dacor stickered AL80s - good quality and garage sale don’t belong in the same sentence here.

My LDS has OW for $600
By the time you add:
fins $75-$90
Mask $75-$100
Snorkel $20
Booties $45

^^^Fixed it for you

From what I see on CL in the Chicago area for scuba gear - crappy looking fins/masks, SP BCDs from the 80s or 90s, and ancient looking Dacor stickered AL80s - good quality and garage sale don’t belong in the same sentence here.
OP is in Florida. Decent used gear should be easy to find local-ish (though items sized for the kids might be harder to find).

Dive shops around here (Washington) require you to buy at least $350-$700 mask snorkel fin sets before you can take the class. most will not allow outside gear. Maybe it's different in FL, but I wouldn't say you can get into this sport for under $2000 per person.
Those are crooks then. Any shop that only allows personal gear they sell you should fail. The most expensive item may be mask. But you can often find a scubamax style brand for under 50 bucks. Snorkel should be a simple 12 to 15 dollar j tube. If the shop doesn't carry one get one from Amazon.
Boots? Can be found for under 50 easy.
Fins? Open heel from ebay or again, scubamax or Sherwood for 75 bucks or so.

$25 dive socks (which are honestly nice, but I think $1 pantyhose would accomplish the same thing)
A mesh duffel bag for my loot
A mask strap with the shop's logo on it
a mask bag
Little bottles of defog
a heavy duty hanger (the kind ( make out of PVC for $3)
I hope they included the ky jelly for how bad they gave it to you. And it's not your problem you are a big guy. If they offer rental gear they should have had something to fit anyone.
I'm not afraid to say they screwed you over big time.

It's worse if the parents are certified and the kids aren't... I won't allow parents in the water until all skills are done, then I encourage them to come along to work with their kids. My students do 5 dives in open water so there's plenty of time for the family to work together/as a buddy team. Open water is easier/better than the pool. There's nothing worse than trying to teach and your students are distracted by dad wanting to take pictures, or gesturing at them...
Yeah, understood. The courses my kids took were similar, though they were largely private courses, no other students signed up for their class. For the oldest, her pool sessions were done private, weather cancelled the OW portion, so she was added to the next class for OW as they had a spot available. She re-did all the pool work with the group.

The classes involved 2-3 days of pool work followed by the OW dives. I stayed out of the water for the pool work, but was allowed to join on the OW dives. For the oldest, myself and a couple other parents stayed out of the way. Instructor did admonish one parent for poor buoyancy control, so that may have been re-visited after. The 2nd day of OW dives was supposed to be off of a boat. The other parents weren't allowed to go due to space. The instructor (and boat owner) told me he would add me as crew so I'd be able to join, weather again got in the way and we did the 2nd day at another spring. I can't remember if the other parents joined this one or not.

For the youngest, all her water time was private. Same setup with pool work. We attempted the OW dives off my boat, but had to call the dives and rescheduled later at the springs. For those, I was my daughter's buddy during the dives. Instructor would sometimes use me to demonstrate the skills first, then my daughter would do them.

It worked out well, but I get your point that it can be highly dependent on the particular diving parent, and in most cases the instructor has no way of knowing what kind of diver the parent is. I'm not an instructor, so I made it a point to not allow my kids to even use gear in the pool until they were certified. I didn't want them to inadvertently pick up any bad habits.

If you buy a full set of new gear for certification and soon find you don't really like diving you stand to lose money.
I said earlier that when the dive shop I worked for changed agencies, the owner of the agency did a week-long workshop, and he strongly advocated for getting the OW students to buy gear before they were done with the class. Not only that, he suggested they identify the specific gear choices they wanted the students to buy so that they could get the best volume discounts from the suppliers. The shop had identified their target models before I left.

I went to a different shop, and about two years later I got a student looking for advanced training. He had done his initial training with my old shop. He said he had all his own gear already, but he didn't like it. He said he had trusted the shop to give him good advice, and he was not happy. He started to tell my what gear he had. I stopped him and named the rest of his gear. "How did you know that?" he asked in wonder.

So in other words, if you show up to class with your own mask fins snorkel that are all pro grade they won’t let you take the class because you didn’t buy it from them? That’s insane!
Once again, a policy like this was recommended by the owner of the dive agency my old shop switched to before I left.

... I'm not an instructor, so I made it a point to not allow my kids to even use gear in the pool until they were certified. I didn't want them to inadvertently pick up any bad habits.
Hmmm. Let's see:

0. Swimming and drown-proofing lessons from a very early age

1. Skin-diving (snorkeling) skills
2. Al 50/63 (or LP 45/50) with plastic backpack with nylon harness; never leave a tank standing unattended
3. Regulator recovery (simple regulator) and buddy breathing
4. Scuba ditch and don
5. Never hold your breath (always continue breathing normally)
6. Always ascend very slowly, exhaling, and switch to snorkel upon reaching the surface
7. Absolutely never mess with scuba gear, whether in or out of the pool, without me (Dad) or Mom with you!

I, too, am not a scuba instructor. Yet, I was extremely comfortable introducing my then-young daughters to scuba in a backyard pool.

Allowed me to gauge whether they had a real interest. Years later (last Spring term), my eldest, a college junior now, decided she wanted to get certified. Her twin sisters, two years her junior, are expressing interest now.

FWIW.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom