The initial costs of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be just for me. Adding in one, two, or three kids could drive it up to a couple of thousand dollars. I think my numbers are conservative. Additionally, I haven't added in the cost of equipment rental for that first dive. I imagine that once you're certified and once you have your own mask/fins/snorkel, the only costs would be equipment rental and shared charter boat charges. But getting started is a real hit K.O. on the wallet.
Yeah, it's definitely not an inexpensive activity. That's for sure. I've got three divers in my family, so it's a significant chunk of money spent in training and gear. Thankfully, not all at once, but it's still expensive.

Currently have 3 BCs, 3 regulators, 5 wetsuits, 6 masks, 5 sets of fins, 5 computers, 6 tanks, 2 spearguns, etc. I don't really want to add that up.

BTW. I just saw that you are local to me. I may be able to help with some recommendations if you'd like. I'll shoot you a PM.
As an instructor, I won't teach parents with kids in the same class. The kids pay way too much attention to their parents, and it's a safety issue.
I can definitely understand that. Especially if both the parent and children are getting certified at the same time.

I was able to dive with my children on their checkout dives. I acted as their buddy, and made it very clear that the instructor was in charge. I participated only when asked by the instructor.

I got certified because my teen age daughter wanted to dive. 4 years later I’m still diving and she’s moved on to other interests.

When the dive shop for which I worked was considering changing agency affiliations, the owner of the agency came in and performed a week-long workshop on scuba marketing. His focus was on how to get new students to purchase all their gear before they finish OW instruction, preferably before they start the OW class. He believed the purpose of instruction was to get people to buy gear, and that had to be a primary focus of the instruction. I left the shop when it made the switch. Later on, a friend of mine who stayed was let go because his students were not buying enough gear.

I have mixed emotions on this whole topic. On one hand, I want to support local businesses and a local dive shop provides services like tank fills that I need. They need to make money to stay in business of course. On the other hand, I don't want to go broke paying full retail plus tax on a lot of expensive gear. I can buy the same stuff or similar for half the price and have a lot of money left to actually go diving. Hopefully folks have access to shops that provide a happy compromise scenario.

Just last week I paid slightly under $550US for my OW class, mask, snorkel, boots, and fins. I think socks and defog also.

I'm trying to estimate the initial outlay of money to scuba dive. I just had a basic intro class for me and my three kids, which was $80.00.

What is the difference? What makes it required?

Why is "masks really need to be tried on" the same as having to buy a mask? Im honestly curious.
Mask fit in terms of how well it seals to your face and keeps out water is very individual. There are many brands, models, etc... With wetsuits, a more expensive brand and model might have more elastic neoprene and provide a significantly more comfortable fit. I would anticipate that a $400 wetsuit is 'better' than a $200 wetsuit for a given size (e.g.: 5 mm front zip full wetsuit). But I don't make any such assumption with masks. An over-priced prestige mask might leak on you, and a cheap-o might be your find of the year.

Some people don't have much trouble getting a decent mask seal. For some of us, it's a mission. Your alternative is a leaky mask requiring frequent clearing that's an aggravating distraction from focusing on your dive.

If you ever use a mask, whether a rental, borrowed from a buddy or dive shop, whatever, and that mask performs excellently for you on some dives, write it down. Brand, model, size if that's listed, get it down.

Be warned; a mask that seals on your face (e.g.: put it on your face without using the strap, suck through your nose, see if it holds on by suction - which you might do in a dive shop) might not seal nearly so well on an actual dive. The regulator 2nd stage mouthpiece in your mouth changes things.

Even if you rent gear when you travel, if you are a difficult mask fit and find one that works well, you'll want to buy one and bring it with you.

Thanks for the input. I think scuba is just too expensive for me. I may wind up doing something like kayaking or fishing that consume far less money.
Here's what I suggest, to get a sense of what some dive trips might cost.

Get online with Rainbow Reef Dive Center and look at their packages. Look at the cost of a hotel room, if all of you pack into one room. It's over 5 hours drive for you, from what I see online, but if you guys went down for 5 days or so of diving, not unreasonable and cheaper than airfare + a car rental.

Next, get online and look at airfare to/from Cozumel, Mexico. Consider fairly cheap options like Casa Mexicana and see what a Dive With Martin package would cost you guys (see if they still include rental gear at no extra charge). Or Scuba Club Cozumel, maybe?

Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan is popular as a fine budget option.

Oh, and looks like Rainbow River is about 2 hours drive from you. I read of people doing guided drift dives down that; fresh water, but fine visibility and looks like a blast!

There are other options, but that might give you some idea.

I absolutely agree. Parents and children should not be in the same class. Parents interfere with the instructor’s control and management of the class.
Not necessarily. The worst class I ever taught, there was a father-teenage daughter. The father was disrupting the pool time with flirting with some of the other women (one single, one not). It was really obnoxious. But that's not the worst part. The daughter had a deep fear of the ocean that I didn't find out until OW1. Fortunately I had two assistants.

So it depends on the parent. However, I agree as a policy, separating children and parents is a very good idea. My plan is to have @custureri train my daughter, and I'll go diving with @LandonL while she's in her class.

Back
Top Bottom