The initial costs of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Dykes

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to estimate the initial outlay of money to scuba dive. I just had a basic intro class for me and my three kids, which was $80.00. Next up would be buying mask, fins, and snorkel, which I would figure on a budget would run about $125.00 for me (I'm required to provide my own for scuba certification). Next would be the certification classes, which I've found here for only $300.00. After that would be cost of sharing a charter boat to actually go out and dive, which I'm guessing to be somewhere around $150.00 for my share with others.

So:
$80.00
$125.00
$300.00
$150.00

Total: est. $650.00

That would be just for me. Adding in one, two, or three kids could drive it up to a couple of thousand dollars. I think my numbers are conservative. Additionally, I haven't added in the cost of equipment rental for that first dive. I imagine that once you're certified and once you have your own mask/fins/snorkel, the only costs would be equipment rental and shared charter boat charges. But getting started is a real hit K.O. on the wallet.

I think you are starting to see the picture. You're in the ballpark, and yes, your numbers are conservative. You could spend $100 on a mask alone, for example, and another $100 on fins. You will also likely want a wetsuit if you don't have one already; even in FL in the summer, you will probably want something more in the way of protection than just boardshorts and a rashguard. But there are deals to be had, and used gear can be a great deal. ScubaBoard members are usually happy to give their opinions on whether items of used gear you might find are good deals or not.

Equipment rental, as you mentioned, is another major cost, and after a few rental days you will probably get fed up with renting and want to buy your own regulator set and BCD, and you could easily spend a thousand dollars (or two). That said, there are people who keep renting gear for years. Gear needs to be serviced periodically, typically once every year or two. So if there is a bright side to rental gear it is that you don't need to be concerned with having it serviced. Most dive operations--certainly in FL--keep their gear in good condition, though not always tuned up to optimal specifications; you may rent a clunky breathing regulator now and then, and that is one of the reasons people end up buying their own.

Budget wisely, ask lots of questions here on SB, and you might just be able to afford a new hobby for you and your kids.

Yeah, Lorenzoid seems to have covered it all. Either way, with a family diving renting all the time or equiping everyone with there own complete set of stuff would be very expensive. Whether you rent or buy would probably be based on how often you dive. Keep in mind that proper post dive rinsing of gear will make it last for years-- that's a lot of gear to rinse. I usually buy any gear I need used. I bought my reg. used in 2005 when I took the OW course and it is still my only one. I think you know what the story is. Good luck.

If you are concerned/constrained with respect to money for 3-4 members of the family diving, the best advice I can give you is to try to find someone you trust, and see if you can get them to help you buy USED gear for everyone, once the certification is complete. Unless you plan on diving very infrequently.

Also, if you have kids and they are growing, wetsuits alone will kill you because they will grow out so fast.

I think you're probably underestimating the cost for Mask, snorkels, fins and boots. It's going to be more like 2-300 dollars.

My advice is take the class for yourself, and then certify your kids. There are practical reasons, as well as financial reasons for this. You'll have some experience and will have some equipment... It's cheaper to make one gear mistake than 3. Plus, if you don't really like diving, your kids may not end up diving. It sounds like you're thinking you can get by with full foot fins, but that's probably short-sighted, as most good fins are made to wear with a boot.

I'd also advise you not to take the cheapest certification course you can find. The adage of "Cheap, Fast, Good. Choose any two." is applicable to dive training. What are your lives worth?

As an instructor, I won't teach parents with kids in the same class. The kids pay way too much attention to their parents, and it's a safety issue.

$300 for OW class? But OP is in FL, that’s a totally different animal than elsewhere. That’s dirt cheap.

Dive shops around here (Washington) require you to buy at least $350-$700 mask snorkel fin sets before you can take the class. most will not allow outside gear. Maybe it's different in FL, but I wouldn't say you can get into this sport for under $2000 per person.

Dive shops around here (Washington) require you to buy at least $350-$700 mask snorkel fin sets before you can take the class. most will not allow outside gear. Maybe it's different in FL, but I wouldn't say you can get into this sport for under $2000 per person.
Gee, I cannot imagine why so many have issues with their local LDS.

Even adjusted for inflation, I paid nowhere near two grand for my gear. That's absurd!

In CA, when I began, it was "come as you are" with almost all of the gear -- whatever you already had -- and no requirements, though there was some encouragement and some decent deals, to purchase from the shop . . .

For that amount of money... You can buy a ticket to Bonaire, do your course here, go for a nice dinner, fly back, and show your holiday pictures to your LDS

The phrase. Scuba Diving is an Equipment Intensive Sport. Is very accurate. You don’t even want to guess the cost outlay for mixed gas staged decompression cave diving that i participate in 2-3 times a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom