The initial costs of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, the "required purchase" of that shop's M/F/S (or anything else) is ridiculous. I agree with VikingDive's idea of taking the course yourself first for the reasons he mentioned. As well, once you have some experience you will be more able to help (rescue?) your kids if they dive with you after they too are certified. Ideally, get a couple of dozen dives in, your Advanced (not hard) and Rescue Certification. New divers buddying up IMHO is not the best thing, though that's what I did due to location-- but with another adult, not with kids, and we were VERY careful and slow going toward depth.

We offer students a discount on gear but they are free to use whatever gear they choose, as long as it is safe. I generally recommend everyone have their own mask because you won’t have fun if your mask is always full of water (We have a pool where they can try the mask for fit). Other than that, rental gear is okay until you decide you want to stick with diving.

Wow. An open water course at a reputable dive centre here in Malaysia costs under US$450, including equipment rental and 3 nights' stay at a (fairly basic) resort - breakfast included.

Wow. An open water course at a reputable dive centre here in Malaysia costs under US$450, including equipment rental and 3 nights' stay at a (fairly basic) resort - breakfast included.
Just out of curiosity, what is the cost to do it 1 on 1 with an instructor?

Are all 3 of your kids seriously into diving?
As a kid I was hell bent on diving, still am. When my family moved to FL I got certified at age 14.
My brother tried it but quickly lost interest, 1 sister didn't want to get her hair wet and the other was planning for college. Think about it before outfitting the whole family, also, they can share.

As advised, get yourself certified, and maybe 1 kid. If they all love it then you need to increase your budget!
Ask lots of questions before you buy and keep an eye out for used gear. This forum is an excellent resource.

It is a great sport and some of my best memories are of diving with my dad. Have fun!

Just out of curiosity, what is the cost to do it 1 on 1 with an instructor?
You'd have to ask the individual school, most classes are 1:4 to 1:6. I suspect it would be around double. You may of course be lucky - my brother had 1:1 instruction for his AOW as he was the only one signed up that weekend.

@Marie13 is probably right to figure $1k....

But hey, my OW course was $25, and included all equipment, and check-out dives....

It was a college PE class and the instructor was on staff and the university had all the gear (minus a bathing suit). It was a $25 "lab fee", and I had to buy a textbook. Now that being said, it did cost me around $600 for a custom tailored wetsuit that would fit me so I could do my dives in the 42 degree local waters....

We used to say $1k to start, and $1k a year to actively dive locally....

And how much is the airfare to get there?

@Marie13 is probably right to figure $1k....

But hey, my OW course was $25, and included all equipment, and check-out dives....

It was a college PE class and the instructor was on staff and the university had all the gear (minus a bathing suit). It was a $25 "lab fee", and I had to buy a textbook. Now that being said, it did cost me around $600 for a custom tailored wetsuit that would fit me so I could do my dives in the 42 degree local waters....

We used to say $1k to start, and $1k a year to actively dive locally....
What's the $1K a year for? I dive locally once weekly (2 dive day) May- Oct. and Once maybe bi-weekly the rest. I pay for air and tank Visuals (of course Hydro every 5 years) and reg work-up every 2-3 years. That's about $500 Canadian max (right now $350 US). Not including car gas of course, but most sites less than an hour away.

I did my OW, locally, on Vancouver Island. All the shops here, include all the needed gear required, for the OW. Mask, fins and snorkel included, drysuits too. All classes here, students learn how to use a drysuit, during OW. Too cold otherwise.
Having said that, I wanted all my own gear and did not want to rent anything. Atomic Venom Framless mask caught my eye, fit was excellent, but it was a $325 mask. Hollis F-1 Bat fins called out to me from the wall, they were over $300. All prices in Cdn $. I looked at as the, buy once, cry once, theory of scuba gear purchases. New Bare Trilam Tech Dry, custom ordered, almost 3k.
If you buy something, buy the best you can afford to get. Buying gear, then replacing it in a yr with something you could've bought 1st, can cost you more in the long run. If you plan on diving a lot, rentals can add up. Initial outlay can be a lot of money, but buying your own gear, will be more cost effective. Those with their own gear tend to dive more. My only cost to dive, is a yearly unlimited air fill card, and servicing costs, and costs to replace lost gear😅.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom